Tyre options?

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
clanger9

Tyre options?

Post by clanger9 »

Hi all,

I'd like to fit some sticky / modern-style tyres to my little cafe racer as the existing Avons are old and cracked.

So far the only option I've found for 17" rims is the same as currently fitted: an Avon Speedmaster on the front and a Safety Mileage on the back. Not that there's anything wrong with the Avons, but I was hoping to find something that looks a bit more sporty!

Is there anything else out there that is the equivalent of a 17" 3.25 (89mm) tyre? It seems that there are very few options for 17" rims.
Would I be right in thinking that a 3.25-17 tyre is the same size and shape as a 90/90-17? I've tried Google and come up with very little other than some weird-looking Chinese stuff...
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
clanger9

Re: Tyre options?

Post by clanger9 »

Answering my own post from ages back - just in case anyone else has the same question...

Modern 17" tyre options are really limited, but I eventually fitted a Heidenau K63 90/90-17 on the front and a 110/90-17 on the back. The slightly bigger tyre on the back makes the proportions look spot on (for a cafe racer, maybe less so in standard trim) and the modern rounded profile helps it corner and handle surprisingly well. They fit perfectly: the front tyre is fractionally smaller than the original, which helps with clearance to the mudguard bolts etc. The rear tyre is fractionally larger, but I still have plenty of clearance to the chain & swingarm.

Hopefully this is helpful for someone. Of course, when fitting non-standard tyres you need to make sure that everything is perfect for your bike before barrelling down the road. Don't just take my word for it. :?
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
BultacoBen

Re: Tyre options?

Post by BultacoBen »

Thanks for updating so the rest of us can benefit! :beer:
http://www.ben-eddings.com
1966 Matchless G2 CSR scrambler
1986 Suzuki DR600 long-range explorer
1971 BSA B50T street tracker