G2 Sump Plug/s

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
smudge78

G2 Sump Plug/s

Post by smudge78 »

Regarding the frame/pan underneath where the plugs are can it be removed safely without compromising the rest of the bike as I need to clean the excess oil from it when I renew the plugs as I believe these are causing the oil leak that I posted earlier. Going through the information I have there doesn't appear much detail on the frame itself, I don't want to dismantle the pan and have a disaster on my hands, thanks in anticipation of some help.
Janet

Re: G2 Sump Plug/s

Post by Janet »

In the bottom frame section there should be a hole for each plug giving access for a socket or tube spanner to enable removal without disturbing the frame. Unless you've taken the engine out I wouldn't take it off. All that leaked oil will keep it from rusting.
smudge78

Post by smudge78 »

Many thanks Janet, you might have saved me from doing something disastrous! :oops:
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

yes, don't touch that bottom tray unless you have to. The only reason to disturb it and then it is only to swivel it down, is to change the centre stand return spring a precarious job so leave well alone and as has been said, it is not necessary for the job you want to do.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
smudge78

Post by smudge78 »

Thanks oz, as a senior citizen beginner all your information is invaluable to me, I'm in the process of getting a Jack to hoist the bike to a more workable level, still deciding what's best for the limited space I have. Anyway life's a journey and it's all part of growing up! :beer:
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Just looking at your profile John, you are not that far from me Southend to Billericay what about 12 miles? maybe one day when I have a free day I can pop up have a chat and offer any advice I can?

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
smudge78

Post by smudge78 »

Thanks Paul, msg on way!
smudge78

Post by smudge78 »

On the off chance does anyone know the part numbers for both drain plugs and washers, just spent most of the afternoon looking at parts lists to no avail! I will phone spares tomorrow if I draw a blank and see if they can help! :cry:
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

smudge78 wrote:On the off chance does anyone know the part numbers for both drain plugs and washers, just spent most of the afternoon looking at parts lists to no avail! I will phone spares tomorrow if I draw a blank and see if they can help! :cry:
042201 for the rearmost (magnetic plug) and 042160 for the front(oil tank) drain plug.. the washers are 042186 and are listed as the same for each plug.

Paul BTW John no msg as yet?
Paul
1960 Model 8
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

The parts service don't stock any of the parts mentioned but if the thread is a 1/4" BSP then these may be a suitable alternative Pt No. 707351 Dowty washer or if it's 3/8 then this is the number Pt No. 900200D