G2CSR exhaust and gearlever

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
John Jarrett

G2CSR exhaust and gearlever

Post by John Jarrett »

Hi there,
Hopefully someone out there will have the knowledge I need to tap into.

I recently bought a G2CSR exhaust pipe which is a swept back pipe. I know it isn't the correct pipe for the bike I want to put it on (1960 G2) but I just like the look of it.

Anyway I have a couple of questions that have arisen after I tried to fit it as it doesn't quite fit as I would expect.

1. Are there 2 types of G2CSR swept back pipe as the one I have is considerably more swept back than most (not all) I have seen from images on the internet. I have sort of arrived at the conclusion (probably incorrectly) that the later bikes had a more aggressive angle.

2. If so, was there a different gear lever for the later bikes as there isn't enough clearance between the existing gear lever and the exhaust once mounted. I will try to take pictures later today to demonstrate, but wondered if anyone else has experienced the same problem?

Many thanks,
John
Ozmadman

Re: G2CSR exhaust and gearlever

Post by Ozmadman »

CSR front pipes. 043448 for 1964 and 1965. 043665 for later 1965 and 043775 for 1966 so there appears to be 3 different front pipes depending on the years, 042715 is for a CS front pipe. And 042453 for the standard 14. Can't find any differences in the gear lever though

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
John Jarrett

Post by John Jarrett »

Cheers Paul,
I didn't look in the spares book to see whether there were different part numbers for the exhaust. Continuing to research on the internet (what a brilliant thing) I found the image attached which is the same exhaust pipe I have.
It does look like the gear lever has much more clearance (bend away from the gearbox) than the one I have with my bike, so to use the exhaust I will need to find a different gear lever or get one bent to fit.
Kind regards,
John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Weird!!TBH that doesn't look right does it? Looks a bit of a botch to me...that hot down pipe looks too close for comfort?? Never seen one like that before
Paul
1960 Model 8
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi John, doesn't look right to me. The best picture i can find in my books is under lightweight singles in Matchless the complete story by Mick Walker( not advertising this just trying to help) page 183.The swept back pipe i believe was only for 1966 CSR's only so would i guess only appear in a parts supplement I only have a 1960 parts list and the 1961 supplement.

My suggestion is try to find some original photos or illustrations/sales brochures.

all the best

Steve
clive

Post by clive »

If you do go on with your plan, invest in some chrome cleaner as you will constantly be wiping the rubber off your boots down the pipe as you change up and down. In my experience (with the heavyweights) when there was a change in something like the exhaust pipe it involved not just the angle of the pipe but also the angle at which the pipe fitted into the head (ie the head had a different part number too). Trying to fit a later pipe to an earlier head may result in the sort of compromise in the picture.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Have a look at the picture of Janet's CSR in the photo's section
Paul
1960 Model 8
Janet

Post by Janet »

Ozmadman wrote:Have a look at the picture of Janet's CSR in the photo's section
Paul, to answer youer question with the photo, I hope you don't mind if I copy some text from a Jampot article I wrote, I think, before you joined the club.
Just a few weeks before The Kimbolton Jampot Rally, Glyn did a deal with his mate, Simon, with the result that I was given a 1964 Matchless G2CSR. I had first seen this particular bike two or three years previously and immediately broke the tenth commandment by coveting my neighbour's Matchless. No-one could accuse me of falling for good looks as the bike isn't exactly pretty but it appealed to me. Perhaps its somewhat distressed condition was the attraction. Prior to me getting it, allegedly it started first kick, ran beautifully and the brakes were supposed to be good. Clearly, those who said this were mistaken. Whilst it seemed to run reasonably well despite the occasional slight popping noise, I found its starting to be inconsistent, with the plug sooting up very quickly. Feathered? It was more like the whole blooming eiderdown. Attempting to stop in a hurry was also somewhat exciting.
Because the little bike was giving me some problems, I wasn't unhappy to be taking it to Kimbolton on my nice new trailer, the decision having already been made because I was to be accompanied by my non-riding, non-driving, much older (snigger) sister. My intention was to give it a run out whilst knowing that if something did go wrong I wouldn't be stuck on my own. No indeed, there would be lots of people around to point and laugh. I also hoped to glean information and advice. Initially, all seemed well on the Saturday morning. Ann went down to the start to wave us all off. The bike fired up well enough but then stalled as soon as I put it into gear. “Oh, poo!” I thought, guessing there was something wrong with the clutch. I accepted I wouldn't be going anywhere when my saviour, Terry Edmonds, appeared, freeing up the clutch which enabled me to join the rest of the riders just as Ann was getting worried that the bike hadn't started.
Following the pre-start chat, the little Matchy fired up again so I was able to set of with everyone else and shortly into the run the bike was about to get its name. Did I mention the slight popping noise? Well, it was becoming less slight. I have heard rumours that there are riders who deliberately try to achieve this effect but my bike did it with no help from me. Every time I shut off the throttle there was a huge explosion plus, as I was later informed, flames emanating from the exhaust pipe. Therefore Vesta got its name, after the goddess of fire, albeit a Matchbox resembling more an ugly duckling than a beautiful swan. It discouraged tailgating, though.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Thanks Janet...good story!! mine does that now and again albeit more of a gurgle without the flames :rofl: :rofl:
Paul
1960 Model 8
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I had a 1966 14CSR and can't recall the gearlever arrangement clearly - don't think it was like that but will check if I have any pictures when I get back from holiday.

Johnny B