Whats next?

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
cbranni

Whats next?

Post by cbranni »

Hello to all, without a new project to get my teeth into I emptied my shed attic of bike bits to see what I had and I have enough bits to knock together a bike based around a Model 14 cs as February's picture in the calender, these are half my bits.........
My intention is to assemble an engine and run it, if it runs and sounds ok I will carry on with the build, if it doesn't will have a re think.

I have two question for the wise to answer...........

Can anyone tell me what type of circlip fits the piston, is it a standard circlip or the round section spring clip, the piston has no cutaway to enable you to remove a round section clip so my gut feeling is it should be a standard circlip.

Also I believe there is no battery used on this model so ignition is by alternator/capacitor does anyone have info on this set up.

Many thanks
Colin
only dead fish go with the flow

Re: Whats next?

Post by 1608 »

Re circlip, depends on what piston you have. But, most importantly you must not mix them up. ie. wire in a pressed steel type groove and vice versa. As far as I can recall, there isn't always a cut-out for the wire type, the wire type sometimes has the open ends wound into a loop for the circlip pliers. And, for what its worth, I was always told that the open ends of any piston circlip should be either at 12 or 6 o'clock, and not 3 or 9. This is to prevent the circlip from jumping out with vibration. Good luck
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Will be ready for the 2014 calendar?

Roy
Roy
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

Will be interesting if you mix in some parts from the green bin :twisted:

Rob
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Thanks for the advice John, I will check out if the groove is flat or round bottom, which brings me nicely on to Roys comment........I think I have serious work to do on the bottom end :D , how can you improve perfection, and please Rob dont snitch on me regarding the "green box" ;)

Colin
Colin F

Post by Colin F »

cbranni wrote:
Also I believe there is no battery used on this model so ignition is by alternator/capacitor does anyone have info on this set up.

Many thanks
Colin
I have been through all my Wipac diagrams and both 14cs diagrams show a battery in the diagram.
Which alternator have you got? 3 wire or 5 wire? If you have a 5 wire it runs the coil directly off the alternator. If how ever you have a 3 wire you will need a battery, or go the capacitor route. The original big blue capacitors are almost unobtainable now, and a pattern type was produced for a few years but now seems to be no longer listed!
The best route to go if you want to run without a battery is to go to 12 volts and use a Boyer Powerbox, this has a capacitor in it and is recommended for running without a battery.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Thanks for the info Colin, I have looked through my manuals too and all the drawings show a battery, I have added a link showing the 14cs and maybe the battery is behind the air filter can't really tell, maybe it will have to be 12v and a powerbox.

http://www.ajs-matchless.com/LS14CS.asp

Colin
en7jos

Post by en7jos »

Weren't lots of the 'details' (i.e. cables, fuel lines, etc) airbrushed out of these type of factory publicity shots? Not showing the battery seems rather more significant than ommitting a cable, but maybe those sort of pictures aren't necessarily the best to go by? Just a thought. James
rex.webb

Post by rex.webb »

Surley no Battery on a Scrambler ?????????
RIDE with CARE and LIVE LONG to ENJOY your Bike,s and Scooter,s .
Insured with Peter James .
r w webb
borrowashboy

Post by borrowashboy »

if it's any good to you i've got a brand new wipac stator with several [can't remember without digging it out ] wires. this was for a battery-less system. it's still in its wipac box with the little man waving on the front :-)
cheers, bb.