Whats next?

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
cbranni

Re: Whats next?

Post by cbranni »

Thanks for the offer Ade but I have a 12v stator (2 wire) and a mate of mine has a powerbox I can borrow to test before I spend my hard earned
Regarding the circlips the piston I am going to use is a standard size with part number 042848 stamped on it and the manual says "insert with round nose pliers in a rotary motion" so circlips it is, found that out after I machined the circlip groove to make sure it was a square groove.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Okay this is where I am if anyone is interested, out of the pile of bits I built up an engine and gearbox nothing matching, all different years, all mix n match including the carb, put the engine in frame which was bolted to the wall, rigged up a battery, coil, throtle and petrol supply, first kick it spat back through the carb, second kick it fired and ran, bit rough but it ran :D
Had a long wait for the oil to return but it did, so I have a running engine.......... :D

I then built up a set of forks, heavyweight style not the dreaded James type, only have the top set of races so can't fit them, but am on a promise for a bottom set

I then built up the rear suspension units and fitted some alloy mudguards which were fitted to my M16 when I bought it, the footrests I have are heavyweight but with a longer square bar and some spacers I will get them to fit, I don't have a handle bar clamp so I will have to make one along with front axle clamps, so its coming along quite nicely and its not costing me any money, and the frame has a dating cert as a bonus, it may just be used for riding around the fields, who knows.

Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Looks interesting, well done so far! 8-)

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

Interesting clutch lever position, which shop manual are you using, the one from the green box? :lol:

Rob
borrowashboy

Post by borrowashboy »

surely a front brake lever? albeit with a clutch cable inserted :-)
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Update............well it runs well, gears are all there, charging, rubbish brakes, clutch is good, but now what do I do with it, needs set of knobbly tyres, rims and spokes, a blow over, power box, plus a few lightweight bits I "borrowed" from my other lightweights like footrests, handlebar clamp, total cost around £500, but is it worth doing?

Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

I think you have done a great job so far. I would like to see it finished as a CS as i think i may do the same with my doner bike. Both bikes i bought were complete basket case non runners which cost about a grand between them. Not so long a go a real rough G2 non runner made about £400 on flea bay and a quite tidy runner fetched over a grand.
If you're enjoying creating & fettling its gotta be worth it even if the financial's don't quite add up.

Carry on regardless!!
Cheers
Steve
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

rubbish brakes what other type are available? :rofl:
Chemists do it with test tubes
robj3123

Post by robj3123 »

Colin, My son has Matchless 250 G2 and it def has a battery (under the seat!) Good luck Rob
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Ok ..........have decided to continue turning it into a CS model, stripped it all down, coat of primer then a coat of primer filler to the frame parts and tank. Would a 21 inch rim be okay on the front? I have a 18 inch on the rear, I still havn't found a handle bar clip, chain guard, caps for fork slider, maybe I will put an advert in the wanted section.