FEMA Summer 2009 Newsletter

These are the front page News Items. Only Club members can add news items to this forum.
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

Future of rider and instructor training discussed at CIECA event
• The BikeSafety contest 2009 is relaunched
• The World Health Organisation gets involved with NGO’s for international road safety conference
• French riders end unfair motorcycle ban
• Public consultation on driver and rider training
• News from the European Road Safety Action Programme
• European Parliament debates Intelligent Transport Systems
• Towards motorcyclist friendly guidelines for computer interfaces
• ITS World congress in Stockholm
• Preliminary talks continue on new type-approval rules for motorcycles
• Guardrails: CEN scores but the game is not through
• Shared-use electric scooters win designers’ challenge
• New research and policy assistant for FEMA

Click here to view
Corners like a Lego man
Groily

Post by Groily »

Interesting to read the lifting of the ban on motorcycles in the new Paris tunnel. And quite right.
However, it does have to be said, even by a die-hard liberal such as I am, that the standard of riding in the Paris environs leaves a hell of a lot to be desired. The weaving and undertaking at pretty high speeds that goes on - and anyone who's ridden/driven in these places will know what I mean - is frankly scary, and there are all too many places where one sees remnants of smashed machines. Despite being habitually alert to m/cycles while driving other things, I am often stunned by the speed at which I am over/under-taken on the Peripherique, in the tunnels of the A14 going into Paris from the north west, and on the arterial road systems that go in and out of Paris. Particularly scary are the modern scooter-y things, draped in the inevitable waterproof tarps that keep shiny shoes and business suits away from the elements. Running at 70mph+ between 2 lines of nose-to-tail motorway traffic with all 4 flashers on for miles on end has always struck me as near-suicidal, yet one sees it every single day, a thousand times over.
As one who rode 100s of thousands of miles in and out of central London for years, and one who ought not therefore be surprised by much . . . I am frequently frankly amazed/horrified.

And scraping bits out of dark and eery tunnels can't be good for the soul.
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

I drove round part of the Peripherique with a trailer and bike hotly persued by my mate Colin Green back in May last year travelling to the Belgium British Bike Rally from the Cerizay Rally.
We had already traversesed the German Autobahns to Poland, then from Poland to Cerizay in France. The bikers on the Peripherique were the hairiest load of nutters we came across on the whole of the three and a half weeks we spent in Europe. London is tame after that.