Spares sales to 'non-members'

These are the front page News Items. Only Club members can add news items to this forum.
SunshineJim

Post by SunshineJim »

heh!

being new here i get to stick my foot innit! that's real courage imo.

so we got one bunch worried about raids on the bits from non believers, and another worried about keeping alive and willing to shuffle parts with the same non b's.

both making witty remarks in defense, what could be better?

i look at it from the point of view of an old mechanic who loves bang and clatter and carries a rag to wipe up the occasional drip.

the more of these old boys and girls going through the air in bissful roars and purrs the better.

something i'm sure both sides can agree on.

wheres the beer? typing makes me thirsty.
itma

Post by itma »

its him again
SunshineJim

Post by SunshineJim »

"its him again"

Me?

nah, last post was my first post here.

i'm familiar with blog problems like spam and general nastiness, group mailings etc.

i read quite a few threads here before i popped in to comment.

i've been wrenching brit iron since 1966 in the US and up here in British Columbia. have many friends and aquaintances from my motorsickle travels and many references from my professional work.

blah blah blah. main thing, if that comment was aimed at me, is don't be too quick to condemn someone new. THIS post is me again...

given that, i will admit to being a wildly eccentic and strange human. on the other hand i often pull over and ask bikers on the side of the road if they need help.

not much of a bike snob myself, i like em all. i'm here because i have a box of matchless parts i'm researching and wondering what to do with.

was cruising Ebay today and realised one of the parts i have is a MATCHLESS AJS 650 G12 CRANK SHAFT CENTER WEB.

actually i have two of them. i was told they were made that way to facilitate access to the internals in the racing machines. sounds unlikely but interesting, i'm here to learn more about these wonderful old bikes.

never owned a AJS or Matchless though i've helped keep a few running for their riders. i am very famiiar with old Triumph and Royal Enfield pre unit twins.

i've had mainly custom shops since 1969, currently run Sofra's Restorations & Reoairs here in British Columbia since 1990 and enjoy the brit bikers that wander into the shop from time to time.

there ya go, so if you don' mind i'm going to wander through occasionally and drop a well intentioned comment in the mix just for the fun of it.

Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

Hi, Sunshine. Put on your suit of armour before entering our realm. We are not vicious, (usually), but do like to pull a leg, or sometimes a nose! We are mostly a bunch of harmless gits.

The center web of the twins was to support the center main of the unusual 3 main bearing crankshaft. Due to the complex shaft, only cast crankshafts were economically feasable except for some race bikes.

Cheers, Don.
SunshineJim

Post by SunshineJim »

heh!

my armor is pretty rusty and has holes where i've cut out a chunk to make a widget or shim a conclusion.

so, one only per bike eh? which AJS/matchless twins had those cranks? which race bikes? years?

(heh! far as these old marques go i'm nearly a compleat idjit on the internals)
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

All AJS & Matchless parallel twins, built from 1949 to 1966 used the 3 bearing crankshaft. The early ones used mehanite, (cast), iron, & they switched to spherical, colloidal, (nodular) cast steel in mid 1961 for the 650cc motors.

The G45 500cc road racer had a billet crankshaft. The same was reported for some other twins raced by the factory but I know of no proof.

Cheers, Don.
SunshineJim

Post by SunshineJim »

Don,

many thanks for the info,appreciate you taking the time

very interesting approach to the engineering, of course like many things the answers open up new questions.

did the engineers ever explain why they went for that complexity?

did anyone ever write up the factory racing story?

what was the economic story behind the decisions?

wheres an exploded view of the install?

don't feel that you have to answer these, i enjoy the search as much as i enjoy the bikes themselves.

i have machined mehanite before for the model airplane engines i build. it finishes beautifully in a lathe.

i'm scouring the public library here for AJS/Matchless info but nothing has turned up yet.
i must say that my librarians are wonderful people and always go out of their way to help with my anachronistic requests.

i think i've found a collector who has restored several of both marques in the Seattle area. i'm looking forward to talking with him.
itma

Post by itma »

all the answers

http://www.freewebs.com/ajsmatchless/in ... rchive.htm

This is also the wrong section for extended discussion.Edited by - itma on 16 Aug 2008 10:13:54 AM
SunshineJim

Post by SunshineJim »

Thanks for the link.

looks like a superb resource on AJS Matchless.
ianselva

Post by ianselva »

As a non-member , I can only welcome this innovation.
I am a member of VMCC as I have several bikes ,all of different makes - Ariel, Triumph, Velocette( LE), James, Enfield, and now AJS model 20.
I cannot afford the money to belong to all theses owners clubs and dont have the time to do many other events.
I certainly believe that all old bike clubs are in for a hard time some time in the future as us oldies shuffle off this mortal coil and there aren't enough youngsters to keep all the bikes on the road. They dont have the desire,the knowledge, or the money.
The VMCC route will not help as it will end up as just an old Jap bike club. In this respect I believe the one make clubs may be better off as members( or even non- members but enthusiasts ) will continue to support the make and introduce new blood.
I shall certainly be making use of this and should the AJS turn out as good as I hope it will become my main post-war bike and I shall join the club.

Cheers

Ian