Classic Oils

These are the front page News Items. Only Club members can add news items to this forum.
en7jos

Re: Classic Oils

Post by en7jos »

Seems you have a reprieve Greg, clearly Poplar trees have more to do with old motorbikes than I had previously assumed! ;)
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Advertising is simple. Members personal ad's for spares, bikes of the margue are free, in the adverts section. Business / Commercial ad's paid for.

You expect to find adverts, in the adverts section, certainly not jumbled up in every topic on the forum. Not many people have time to read every posting on the forum to discover what's for sale or want.. It has always been excepted practise for the club to seek discounts from companies for members, also for companies to offer club member discounts. This being under control of the committee. Not a free for all. Members informed of discounts negotiated or offered by any means of communication the club has. The club is not for people to join, to freely promote a business.
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

en7jos wrote:Seems you have a reprieve Greg, clearly Poplar trees have more to do with old motorbikes than I had previously assumed! ;)
Yes, poplars and their little friends cherry laurels helped fund me and my bikes for many years. Unfortunately I am stuck with a name that seemed a good idea all that time ago. People don't pay attention - "Is that Popular Reg?" etc!
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

Rob Harknett wrote:Advertising is simple. Members personal ad's for spares, bikes of the margue are free, in the adverts section. Business / Commercial ad's paid for.

You expect to find adverts, in the adverts section, certainly not jumbled up in every topic on the forum. Not many people have time to read every posting on the forum to discover what's for sale or want.. It has always been excepted practise for the club to seek discounts from companies for members, also for companies to offer club member discounts. This being under control of the committee. Not a free for all. Members informed of discounts negotiated or offered by any means of communication the club has. The club is not for people to join, to freely promote a business.
I have been a member for years and advertise every month in the "Jampot", so can't be accused of freeloading.

I think James' idea is excellent. Nobody ever looks at links and permanent advertisements are inflexible - offers come and go and no feedback or discussion is possible.

Agree, we don't want adverts "jumbled up in every topic". You didn't read his suggestion properly - a separate "advertisements" section of the forum. If you don't want to know, then you don't have to go there.

Most other motorcycle and car forums are much more flexible in this matter
en7jos

Post by en7jos »

How exactly has this:
en7jos wrote:I have to agree with the point that Greg is making here. There are a number of members who, as part of their interest in old bikes, offer various parts and services that would be of interest to other club members. Be it tax discs, LED lights, magneto capacitors, tools to rotate the dynamo, etc, etc. Whilst I am in no way suggesting that the forum needs to become riddled with advertising, it would be nice to be able to be able to make mention of these offerings without upsetting anyone. I think a complete advertising ban (unless its wiring loom related! :shock: ) is a little self defeating.

Other bike forums have an advertisement section to keep all that sort of stuff separate - maybe we could have something similar here? That way the info is there if you want it, but it doesn't 'pollute' the main boards. I know we have an advertisement section on the website, but its pretty limited. No photos, small description, no way to ask questions or discuss. Could even be a paid for service, similar to the jampot adds, but with room for discussion. I for one would like to know more about what other club members are doing and offering (and of course would welcome an opportunity to share the same info)!

Well done Stuart with regards to negotiating the oil discount though - another added benefit to being a club member. Sorry your thread has gone a bit off topic, but at least it will keep it current so more users see it!
Been misinterpreted as this:
Rob Harknett wrote:Advertising is simple. Members personal ad's for spares, bikes of the margue are free, in the adverts section. Business / Commercial ad's paid for.

and this (sent to me via email):
I am following up your recent entry on the website where you effectively complain that the club spares scheme is allowed to advertise its wares and discount deals on the club website but you are not....
I believe my post and suggestion was an entirely reasonable one and one which I thought would have merited at least some consideration. In particular, I would ask who the person referred to that has joined the club in an attempt to freely promote the business is? Presumably this was either myself or PoplarGreg? If so, I think that is a very unfair remark to have made and it is hopefully clear to other members that this is not the case.

Regards, James

P.S. Greg - I must confess that I also thought you were a popular reg. number dealer too. Ha ha! :lol:
clive

Post by clive »

en7jos wrote:...... I think a complete advertising ban (unless its wiring loom related! :shock: ) is a little self defeating.........
I think this explains my email (which contained an offer to advertise on the website, in the Jampot mag and in the links pages)
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Cerberus

Post by Cerberus »

I'm not normally one to get involved in threads where people are getting hot under the collar, misinterpreting responses etc and generally getting wound up, usually resulting in hurt feelings etc, etc, as the written word can easily be misrepresented as you do not get the nuances of voice or facial expression.

However, one of the suggestions above, I think it may have been from en7jos, had some merit. If there were a mechanism which put an automatic message into a particular forum group when an advert was placed it could prove useful, like "change bar" marking a helps when reviewing documents for the "nth" time (thankfully something I no longer have to do).

How about a register of members services, separately listed, so they can be easily searched.

Just some random, hopefully constructive thoughts.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Within the club web site there is the forum and adverts, either can be visited. Why suggest an adverts section in the forum, or a forum in the adverts section. It would be better if the forum had a chat room for all this banter, elsewhere you stick to topic. It would certainly improve the search facility , which has become a joke.
Members services are listed separately see "Trades and Services"
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

en7jos wrote:I believe my post and suggestion was an entirely reasonable one and one which I thought would have merited at least some consideration. In particular, I would ask who the person referred to that has joined the club in an attempt to freely promote the business is? Presumably this was either myself or PoplarGreg? If so, I think that is a very unfair remark to have made and it is hopefully clear to other members that this is not the case.
l:
Please would you reply to this request Rob?
Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

I also hope this doesn't become too heated. It seems to be a mix of oil and water: the old website versus the new flexible one that could (should ?) allow new features without damaging existing ones. Eamonn getting the new style website through must have been like the parting of the waves to some, and I hope they realise what a step forward it has been. So many things are done on line these days that not having a ‘members services' feature is more remarkable than having one. I even buy my shoe-laces on-line. The thought that anybody would join the club to exploit their business via us tight old **ds is a bit laughable, I am sure it wasn't meant that way. In a specific adverts section open to non-members we would doubtless get some undesirables, but not to the extent that an occasional sweep wouldn't suffice (although even that would be more work for somebody unfortunately). I hope this can be debated reasonably, not like the Alternative rules saga that left me at least somewhat bruised and almost dropping out. In every venture there has to be some room for development, improvement and changes with the times, otherwise we would still be riding behind a man with a red flag !
Stan