Pre-1960 MOT exemptions

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Eamonn
Webmaster

Pre-1960 MOT exemptions

Post by Eamonn »

From the DLVA offices:

Pre-1960 Vehicles
I am writing to notify you of a change in legislation that may impact a number of your members. From 18 November 2012, vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1960 will become exempt from the requirements to have a mandatory MoT test. I can confirm that these vehicles will still be required to be in a roadworthy condition when used on a public road. Keepers of pre-1960 vehicles will still be able to take a voluntary MoT test at all approved testing stations if they wish to do so.

This means that on or after 18 November 2012, keepers of vehicles who need to tax their pre-1960 vehicle(s) will not need to produce a valid MOT pass certificate when applying for a tax disc. Any application to tax via the Post Office or Local Office will require a completed V112 (Declaration of exemption from MoT testing) where the customer declares that their vehicle is exempt. In addition, the DVLA electronic vehicle licensing system will enable customers with pre-1960 vehicles to tax without a MoT from 18 November 2012.

This exemption will also apply to vehicles where a date of manufacture is not on the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) system, but the date of registration is recorded as being on or before 7 January 1960. We also apply this policy to the qualification criteria for the pre-1973 Vehicle Excise Duty exemption.

I can confirm that the Agency will continue to allow pre-1960 vehicles to either transfer or retain their registration mark using the current cherished transfer scheme provided a voluntary MoT has been passed. This is to ensure that vehicles are still in existence and prevent potential fraudulent claims for attractive marks.

Where keepers believe their current vehicle should be exempt due to the law change but their Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C) does not reflect this they will need to write to the DVLA to request a change. The address to write to is DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA.

In order to ensure the accuracy and integrity of the vehicle records held at the DVLA, it is important that evidence provided to amend or add information already held on our system is accurate and truly reflects the vehicle for which it is issued. Therefore it has been decided that for these specific cases, requests will only be considered where it has been accompanied with either an extract from the manufacturer/factory record or an extract from the appropriate ‘Glass's Check Book'. Both these documents will have a direct link to the chassis number that should already have been accepted and recorded on the vehicle record as part of the initial registration process.

I can confirm that for these specific cases, DVLA will not accept general dating certificates as evidence to amend or update the date of manufacture. Such certificates will however, continue to be accepted for other purposes such as V765 claims and requests for age related numbers for recently restored or recently imported vehicles.

I trust this explains the situation.

Yours sincerely
Sent unsigned via e-mail
Claire Rush
Corporate Affairs Directorate
Corners like a Lego man
DWS

Re: Pre-1960 MOT exemptions

Post by DWS »

Well, that clears that one up... :P
AFS Matchless Motorcycle Register
Colin F

Post by Colin F »

Yes clears up the position regarding the DVLA but what take will the Insurance companies have??
rex.webb

Post by rex.webb »

A friend has just had his Pre 1960 Car MOT,d.
Stamped on the MOT in RED .
No MOT after 18th november 2012 .
I only have two Motocycle,s that needs an MOT so now save every year .
RIDE with CARE and LIVE LONG to ENJOY your Bikes and Scooters.
Insured with Peter James.
r w webb
John Jarrett

Post by John Jarrett »

Running along another tack... does that mean that the club will need to consider a change to its dating certificate procedures to prove a copy of the factory record for bikes registered in 1960 (or later) but manufactured in 1959 (or earlier), to enable the MOT exemption to be claimed?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have original copies of Glass's check books, for all marques from 1950 onwards.
This covers motor cycles, mopeds, 3 wheelers & cars.
I gave Roy ( club dating officer ) a file of all details for AJS & Matchless only, well over a year ago.
So your club is well equiped along with factory records to help its members.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

You will note that the DVLA date on the chassis number, this has always been so. There are exceptions that were negociated with the DVLA while I was Secretary for the NACC, that is, to date clip on engines ( engines fitted on push bikes ) by the engine year of manufacture. Due to the difficulty of dating a push bike. I do for see some errors may be found with past machine dating, that was declared by an owner in the past.
Matchless_Mayhem

Post by Matchless_Mayhem »

Fantastic news!

Thanks for clearing-up the (legal) position.

Surely this does nothing other than broaden the appeal of 'classic' bikes/vehicles - good news for ALL of us.

:D
Who, me!?
dogwheel

Post by dogwheel »

And---I checked with our little local sub-post office and they already have in stock the latest form V112, which includes clause "o", the one that refers to our old bikes. Although it's free to us, they do get a small fee, which just might help keep them local!
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Thanks, Eamonn, useful piece of information! I'm sure it will not be as simple as they make out!
Alan [Morini] Jennings