887 LKN

Where is that old bike?
ChrisTheChippy

887 LKN

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Hi , I am currently fettling a matchless G2 which I acquired with only the buff log book. Bike has an interesting history as it was exported to jersey in 1982. The jersey reg number is J17790 and it was last taxed in Jersey in 1988 with the owner being listed as John Patrick Smith of Haute du rue Maufant Jersey . I have no idea if John Smith returned to UK with bike .
The English reg number plate was 887 LKN . DVLa have no record of this on their data base . The chap i bought the bike from said he got it from the guy next door who had it in the back of his workshop for at least 20 years and only sold it because he had to move to sheltered accomodation . There is an inscription at the bottom of the number plate bracket which reads dedicated to a friend . This bike obviously meant a lot to him . Thought maybe I could let him know that it's being looked after so any information would be great .
Regards Chris
Rob Harknett

Re: 887 LKN

Post by Rob Harknett »

Your 1960 G2 887 LKN would have been first registered in Kent July / Aug 1960. Some very early records are archived in the county Library. You could check out if later records were archived with the " kithead trust " when LVRO closed quite recently. I camped beside a couple of Jersey club members at last years Jampot. I cannot recall names. Just a chance they may have known John Smith.
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Thanks Rob
What is the kithead trust ? I'm afraid ive never heard of it . Guess it's back to good ol' Google . If I can prove the number I might have an outside chance of reclaiming the original reg number . That might be a bonus but mainly I want to trace former owner . Didn't know the bike was registered in Kent had a look at club records and think I read them wrong as I thought it was registered elsewhere .
Thanks for info so far .
Cheers Chris
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

http://kitheadtrust.org.uk/
I thought it would be easy to find kitheadtrust, here's a link if having problems.
The original number seems to be a Kent registration. That does not mean the first owner lived in Kent. The owner could have lived anywhere, but brought the bike from a dealer in Kent. Factory records may show where the bike was dispatched to. So the club dating officer may be able to help. There could be a fee to pay.
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Thanks for your help Rob . Looks like I've got a bit of research to do ! Best regards Chris Spencer
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Hi Rob
I emailed the kithead trust last night without much hope and guess what they do have a record of my bike !
If I forward a cheque for £12 they have all the details even dealer it was delivered to and more importantly the record of first owner . They also said that the DVLA will accept that as proof of original reg so it looks like I will be able to reclaim the number !
This also starts a trail of ownership who knows it may even be a one owner machine and I will find the PO . I would love to let him know what happened to his bike . I will let you know how I get on .
Thank you very much for the great information and help with this .
Hope we can meet one day maybe at the jampot ?
Best regards Chris Spencer
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

That's a result Chris well done. You have found proof needed to reclaim an old reg. no. Not sure if you have discovered it is no longer in use. At some time the number may have been sold off. Although sometimes when that is done an age related number is given to the vehicle. I brought a bike once off a dealer that had documents. But I had to wait for it to come from the DVLA. Reason I discovered, the dealer had sold the number off the bike just before I brought it. Lets hope you get the number OK. Get in touch with Roy our dating officer, he will help and advise you so it all goes through smoothly. I am sure I noticed you were in Essex, if so pop along to our East London & Essex section meeting. Meet myself and Roy plus many others.