Looking for a 3 1/2 HP matchless... Model 2B

Where is that old bike?
Goffey

Looking for a 3 1/2 HP matchless... Model 2B

Post by Goffey »

After my Dad past away about twenty years ago, I found a sales certificate for a Matchless that my Grandfather bought in 1916, other than just noting the size of the engine, it also said it weighed about 150lbs...during my search for information I managed to get a copy of the 1916 motorcycle show guide and in it it talks about a 3 1/2 HP Matchless that weighed about 150lbs, so i am pretty happy that the 2B is what he owned back in the day and trying to find an example of this motorcycle has kept me busy for a few years...but this was all pre internet days which tends to limit your access to sending letters...nothing wrong with that, I have a folder full of replies and I also met some very interesting people along the way...I even managed to get given a copy of Matchless by Peter Hartley.......I haven't quite given up seeing one just yet, and this is why I am reaching out to you all now...so if anybody knows of an example of the 2B that might be viewed, I would be very interested to hear from you......Cheers Bob...
Rob Harknett

Re: Looking for a 3 1/2 HP matchless... Model 2B

Post by Rob Harknett »

The model 2B was a baby V twin. Just 10 pounds heavier and 1/2 H.P. larger engine than the model 2 single. Both introduced circa 1912/1913. There is very little documentation of this model. Very few were made before war broke out. Many owners used their own machines to help the war effort. For war and civi dept. duties. Owners were keen to prove to the war department, the motor cycle was better than the horse for fast despatch / deliveries etc. This brought about the birth of W D motor cycle despatch riders. Motor Cycle magazines of the era actually listed names of owners that volunteered for duty using their own motor cycles. The larger V twins were favoured by the war dept. Used as combinations to carry a machine gun. 1914 onwards probably saw few civi machines sold. From 1914 small models like the mod 2 & 2B , production was to probably only use up stock of parts. The bikes perhaps taking a while to sell. So it is probably a 1913 model that your father actually owned. Probably only about 1,000 model 2 & 2B's made. The majority being model 2's. I am not aware of any surviving machines. None being listed on the club data base.
Ashampoo_Snap_2017.10.26_18h41m13s_001_.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Group Leader

Re: Looking for a 3 1/2 HP matchless... Model 2B

Post by Group Leader »

But wouldn't it be wonderful if one came out of the woodwork somewhere! Make a nice change to all those old Triu ......., no, I can't bring myself to say it.

Good luck with the hunt.

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol: