RMM 520 & NRO 574

Where is that old bike?
Group Leader

Re: RMM 520 & NRO 574

Post by Group Leader »

Well to bring this thread to its conclusion then.

I've had my first, short ride on my beast this afternoon. In fact, it was the first time I've ridden a bike in over 40 years and I have to say it was absolutely fantastic.

Thanks Dad for persuading me to get an AJ. It's been a long time coming but well worth the wait!

Alan
MD Small.jpg
The Beast Small.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

The Epilogue:

Well I and the mighty machine have covered some 750 miles in a little under two months in my quest to ride in my father's tyre tracks :D

This morning I met up with John aka "195318s" for breakfast at the Shuttleworth Collection followed by a ride out around the country lanes (it should be compulsory to visit this wonderful place to see its fine collection of early aircraft, bikes, cars and other interesting machines).

What a splendid time we had!
AJs.jpg
Alan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

An Epi-Epilogue!

A recently discovered long-lost box of family treasures has just been given to me. Amongst its contents are some photographs of father's bikes.

Looks like NRO574 has long since departed but here it is when it was, I suspect, brand new (doesn't even look like it had any oil in it ;) )

From my understanding of the description in Mick Walker's "AJS - The Complete Story" it looks like a 1952 Model 20. It appears to have the "curious pillion seat, linked at its forward section to the saddle" and definitely has the original single leading shoe front brake with the operating arm facing rearward and the operating cable behind the fork leg.

Is my conclusion correct?

Alan
AJS Twin New Small.jpg