1960 G5 350cc Lightweight

Where is that old bike?
Peter Morris

1960 G5 350cc Lightweight

Post by Peter Morris »

Does anyone know the whereabouts of my first Matchless?

1960 G5, it was registered 920PPB or PPB920 although this registration is no longer assigned to a Matchless according to the DVLA site.

Engine number 60G51109
Frame number 7272

Thanks Peter
Peter Morris

Re: 1960 G5 350cc Lightweight

Post by Peter Morris »

I rebuilt it from a box of parts in 1979/80 so hopefully it should still be around. The Reg number is now assigned to a Jaguar X Type so the only way
of finding it would be by frame/engine numbers.
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hello Peter, thanks for your kind comments on my recent lightweight restoration. It was actually my first real restoration and was a complete basket case. I am just waiting for the DVLA to issue a reg number.
I have another one which is coming along nicely as i have learnt the lessons from the first one!!...... and i have the log book :beer:
Unfortunately neither of the bikes frames and engines match your old bike.
I think once the second one is complete its time for a Twin or 500 single or even a short stroke G3S/16S if i could find one.
I have to say i really do like the lightweight - i have only rode it a limited distance but it runs and handles pretty well..
Hope that you manage to find your old bike.

Kind regards
Steve
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Steve,

I am glad you are enjoying your bike, I think the lightweights are very underrated.

I have two other Matchless so I am ok for bikes of the marque, but just would like the own the old G5 (or know it's still around) as it was my first proper bike, I had a host of Bantams, James, Lambrettas...etc before it and am not sentimental about any of those. Maybe it's because I got the G5 in several boxes (with lots missing) and spent a lot of time, and money, on it.

Hope the second one goes well, look forward to seeing the pictures of it.

Peter