Love to find LXO 556

Where is that old bike?
alancoulter

Love to find LXO 556

Post by alancoulter »

Thought I would post up my Dads other AJS, again any idea year/Model, he told me they were both 500cc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Duncan

Re: Love to find LXO 556

Post by Duncan »

Alan, the tank badges (used one year only) make it a 1951 model, the first year of the jampot rear suspension units, the size of the barrel and cylinder head look big enough to be a 500cc so that makes it a 1951 a model 18S.

Have a look at this: http://archives.jampot.dk/Promotional/S ... _color.pdf
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

LXO a London reg.no. that was used for the whole of 1951, 556 suggest it was registered approx. mid 1951
bunners

Post by bunners »

if those badges were only used for one year, does that make them a rare item? I have a set somewhere.
If there is life after Death whats the point of dying in the first place.
alancoulter

Post by alancoulter »

Thanks Duncan and Rob, that's great info. My Dad lived in Erith so makes sense both bikes are London plates, great to find out he had a 1948 and 1951 AJS, He knew they were 500cc but could not remember model type. His Dad had a great Vincent HRD sidecar outfit. I used to ride in a sidecar with my mum Dad had a Triumph twin outfit then.

I would like to get myself an AJS and would like the same model my Dad rode, the 1951 AJ must of been the one he had his accident on, in 1952 he was riding in a road trial with his dad navigating on the pillion. Another rider who thought he was lost was riding to fast and hit them, my dad broke his leg in three places and my granddad broke his wrist, the other rider only suffered bruises. Dad nearly lost his leg but after three operations they managed to save it !
he ended up with a fixed knee joint and struggled to get on a bike again !

His love of motorcycling passed on to me. I now ride a Ducati monster (don't shoot me ! ) and really enjoy belonging to a club and meeting other bikers.

I will get myself along to a Kent meet asap.

PS - sorry about large picture !
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Hi Alan, great to see dad in full flight on the bike :D
I would like to get myself an AJS and would like the same model my Dad rode
That is like a breath of fresh air to me, get along to a club meet when you can.
I you have some money tucked away the right bike will turn up, it's getting to the time for some of handing over their charges, so a few turn up and it will be good to know that a bike will go to safe hands.
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

if those badges were only used for one year, does that make them a rare item? I have a set somewhere.
No demand for them because of that Ted, but I would do you a favour and store them in my shed if you need the room! ;)
alancoulter

Post by alancoulter »

Keep the Badges, I may need them if I buy a 1951 ;)
alancoulter

Post by alancoulter »

Duncan wrote:Alan, the tank badges (used one year only) make it a 1951 model, the first year of the jampot rear suspension units, the size of the barrel and cylinder head look big enough to be a 500cc so that makes it a 1951 a model 18S.

Have a look at this: http://archives.jampot.dk/Promotional/S ... _color.pdf

Thanks for the link Duncan, have printed off to show dad !
bigwol

Post by bigwol »

bunners wrote:if those badges were only used for one year, does that make them a rare item? I have a set somewhere.

Some one seems to think so bunners, a pair sold on ebay the other day for over £80!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200996918649? ... 1438.l2648
It's all just riding motorbikes