Lost in shed!

Where is that old bike?
bunners

Re: Lost in shed!

Post by bunners »

I hope this is not going to degenerate into an "Itma" issue again.
If there is life after Death whats the point of dying in the first place.
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Rob, from one sinner to another :o please don't do that , your help and assistance is much appreciated.
Am I missing something ? the original post asked how to trace the bike he once owned , not mentioning if it was to share history or to try and recover the bike.
So I think that the advice on this post is sound and shows the direction and the pitfalls of contact with a new owner.
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
lonegull

Post by lonegull »

I did ask the DVLA if they would forward my letter but they merely sent me a pro forma letter explaining that they were not a public records offfice. But... it might be worth another try with the photo of Mrs P draped across the saddle. I might have said "my wife" but this might be a little controversial! Possesive pronouns about old (and loved) possesions are truly hard to avoid. "A bike I used to own" is more respectful to the actual owner, "My old bike" implies at least a shared ownership of memories that transcends mere legal ownership. After all we are now only guardians of them. (unless we wish to be buried or cremated with them)...
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

steve347 wrote:I did ask the DVLA if they would forward my letter but they merely sent me a pro forma letter explaining that they were not a public records offfice. But... it might be worth another try with the photo of Mrs P draped across the saddle. I might have said "my wife" but this might be a little controversial! Possesive pronouns about old (and loved) possesions are truly hard to avoid. "A bike I used to own" is more respectful to the actual owner, "My old bike" implies at least a shared ownership of memories that transcends mere legal ownership. After all we are now only guardians of them. (unless we wish to be buried or cremated with them)...
Ha! Ha! That might do the trick, but to be entirely pc and mon-sexist, wouldn't two versions, incluluding one with you draped over the bike be essential?

A lot of it is probably down to who you get on the day, my first attempt was unsuccessful. If you try again, use the DVLA form and make a good case. Also, pay the fee - this is essential or it will be filed to the bin. If you are paying, then they will probably feel obliged to make an effort on your behalf. The unsealed, unaddressed but stamped letter to the present owner will show your good intentions. If it is passed on and he doesn't contact you, then you've done all you can.

Of course you could convert your garden to a registered car park - then DVLA will give you the address for only £2.00. It's a funny world.