What Is This Bikes History

Where is that old bike?
KTM450DS

What Is This Bikes History

Post by KTM450DS »

I just got a 1952 Matchless G-80 with the license plate 7806 FE75. The plate also has a white circle with F in the middle. How would I go about to find more information about this bike?
saltbox alf
Deceased

Re: What Is This Bikes History

Post by saltbox alf »

That is department 75 Paris 9 Paris ÃŽle-de-France originally called 'Seine inferior' at the time the bike was manufactured. Was more than likely a Gendarmary issue.
If you have the original reg document 'carte grise' it might be possible to trace it. but not easy.
The clubs dating service for a small fee should be able to let you know where it was dispatched to and other useful details to get it registered.
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
KTM450DS

Post by KTM450DS »

Thanks for the info. When you say get it registered is that with the club or something else. Sorry I'm new to the vintage bike world, so I have rookie questions.
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Well I presume you are in the uk? If so, then you have 6 months to get a uk regisration as it's on French plates at the moment. So you will have to import it!! Plenty of paperwork! Start now!
I hope you have a bill of sale and the french registration document, have a look on the DVLA website for how to do it.
KTM450DS

Post by KTM450DS »

I'm in the U.S. it is already registered here. I'm currently going through the process of getting it licensed with a historic plate, but here that is pretty easy. The guy I got it from didn't know much or have any history on the bike just, so I'm starting from scratch.
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Ok thats fine. It will be difficult to get the French history on it. I would get in touch with the club dating service, at least it's some history.
Enjoy your bike. The USA section of the club is quite active and worth contacting.
cheers
KTM450DS

Post by KTM450DS »

When you say club are you talking about Jampot?
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

There is a North American Section of the international AJS & Matchless Owner's Club, (often called Jampot), with our own newsletter & help. Contact the Secretary: John Diederich, cycletoys@aol.com. Cheers, Don in California.
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Thanks Don , I was not quite sure of the address, expect our inquierer will get some help there.
Interesting a French registered bike in the USA.
KTM450DS

Post by KTM450DS »

Thanks Don I appreciate this information. Is there many Matchless or AJS motorcycles here in the U.S.