AJS 18S OPO 533

Where is that old bike?
Bill Rayner.

AJS 18S OPO 533

Post by Bill Rayner. »

Sold this well travelled bike in 1976 to buy a Duke 450, which I still have! The gentleman purchaser lived in the new houses at the back of the Crown Hotel (name could be wrong[:I]), the big hotel in Tring, Herts. Curious to know if she is still in one piece and used?

Thank you for any replies. Regards, Bill

Bill Rayner.

Re: AJS 18S OPO 533

Post by Bill Rayner. »

Been a very long time since I posted here, but have dropped by on many occasions, with no reply to my original post. :( So I thought I might freshen up the post, in case the current owner of OPO 533 would let me know if the 'Old Bus' is still going or just lying about festering? :) I have looked on the DVLA site and noted that the bike is still about, albeit on SORN, I think.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and for any replies. My regards, Bill.
poplargreg

Re: AJS 18S OPO 533

Post by poplargreg »

I tried for some time on this forum and in OBM to get news of PFH 933 (still on road) with no luck. I also wrote to DVLA two years age and got the reply that I had no grounds for obtaining the address.

Thought I'd give it one more go, so I downloaded the appropriate request for an owner's details from the DVLA site (think it was V80, but not sure). I accompanied this with a covering letter explaining why I wanted to make contact. This is important - you need to give a sound reason. Mine was that I wanted to fill in gaps in the bike's history. I told them I'd had a lifelong interest in the make, and said I was a member of the club. I also quoted the reg no of my present G3 as additional proof of good intentions.

I also put in a letter to the present owner in a blank unsealed stamped envelope and asked if this might be forwarded if I had not given sufficient grounds for the release of an address.

As requested I enclosed a £5 fee and copy of a utility bill.

I received a letter from a nice Rhian Gerrard (Central Casework Group) confirming that the letter had been forwarded. After a few more weeks I received a letter from the current owner (a club member!), who later sent photos of the bike now. If you adopt this course, it might be a good idea to mark FAO on your application, as the response might be more sympathetic.

This proves DVLA has a human side, although it is annoying they will give these details immediately to grasping private car park owners.