797 UXR

Where is that old bike?
bobg3s

797 UXR

Post by bobg3s »

Does anyone have any info on a 1962 G3 reg no 797 UXR I believe it was first registered in London :D
Any info would be greatly appreciated as I am currently restoring it.
it is in Eire now but was imported from the UK a couple of years ago
Thanks
bob
Rob Harknett

Re: 797 UXR

Post by Rob Harknett »

Bobby, 797 UXR is an age related number issued by Swansea some time after 1995, I say after 1995 as thats the latest book I have, which at that time shows, UXR prefixed by numbers not in use. Your V5 may show the bike as first being registered on a date later than 1995, declared manufactured 1962.
UXR 797 would had been a London reg. no. Note letters prefix numbers. London used this series from December 1957 untill September 1958. Unless you know the bikes original number, theres no way you can discover where in the country the machine was sold and register new.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

You might be able to get the original reg number by checking the bikes MOT history. I did this on my bike only to find out it was actually re-registered 2 months before I bought it but at least I now know what the original number is and where it has gone . The previous owner obviously made a packet on the desirable original reg number which I think shouldn't be allowed..

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
bobg3s

Post by bobg3s »

Thanks for the info guys, sorry I didn't reply with thanks sooner but I was having problems loggin on to forum thanks to Eamonn for correcting that ,all is right with the world again.
bob
Janet

Post by Janet »

Ozmadman wrote: The previous owner obviously made a packet on the desirable original reg number which I think shouldn't be allowed..Paul
It's only desirable to some people in the UK. If it were exported it would have to be re-registered. In some other countries the registration changes every time the bike is sold, in others, when it moves to a different area of the country. For example, if I had a bike with its original registration ( which I have ) and I sold it to you, you would have to re-register it, so the number would be changed. I suspect that furriners cannot understand this fixation on original registration numbers.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

The previous owner obviously made a packet on the desirable original reg number which I think shouldn't be allowed..

I agree,both my machines have original numbers which allows people to follow the history but sadly when I or the family sell them the next owner can do whatever they wish. :(
Chemists do it with test tubes
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

That's right Janet, 'ere in ze land of cheese et vin there used to be the system that each vehicle was registered in the department with a departmentle prefix, then you had to get a fresh number if it changed hands to a different dept', if it stayed in the dept same number.
Now we have changed to a number that stays with the vehicle. Still not able to make silly names with the plates! The locals can't see the point, "but my name iz on de reg document"
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
Janet

Post by Janet »

bobg3s wrote:Does anyone have any info on a 1962 G3 reg no 797 UXR I believe it was first registered in London :D
Wherever it came from, enjoy it.
bigwol

Post by bigwol »

bobg3s wrote:Does anyone have any info on a 1962 G3 reg no 797 UXR I believe it was first registered in London :D
Any info would be greatly appreciated as I am currently restoring it.
it is in Eire now but was imported from the UK a couple of years ago
Thanks
The dating service will be able to tell you from the engine and frame numbers if they are original matches, exact date of manufacture and possibly the dealer it was consigned to. For the normal fee of course :D
It's all just riding motorbikes
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Note my earlier post gave the answer 797 UXR is a re allocated number the bike got some time after 1995. It is not a 1962 number. The only way I see you can get any early history is via the club dating officer via frame and engine numbers, if they don't match then you'll get what the engine was and what the frame was originally. But the only info you will get is when and to which dealer the bike or parts were dispatched to, as advised above by bigwol