839 AGA

Where is that old bike?
Ozmadman

839 AGA

Post by Ozmadman »

Hi
I have just found out that my 1960 Model 8's previous registration number was 839 AGA and was changed to my current number approx a month before I bought it in November 2011 . I have done a few basic searches but can't find out where this number is now, just curious if anyone knows. Just found out that it is on a 2004 Triumph Thruxton 885cc... what a waste!!!

Out of interest, if this reg was not being used could I get this back as it was the original on my bike?

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Al_Bolton

Re: 839 AGA

Post by Al_Bolton »

Slightly confused in what you've written (assuming the mention of the Triumph was an update) but it sounds likely that the number was sold/transferred - a common practice, sadly. This happened to my 1960 G5 - the bike was tarted up to get an MoT so the transfer could go through. It received an age-related registration (they were issuing NNN YUG last year) which I expect yours has now. It makes no odds to me, but I know some people like to have the original reg.

My chum JAJO57 on the forum managed to reclaim his original registration - there's quite a bit about this in one thread but his bike hasn't had the reg sold off...

I suppose you could buy it back from the current owner but it'll be ££££££££££. :evil:

Cheers,
Al
Ozmadman wrote:Hi
I have just found out that my 1960 Model 8's previous registration number was 839 AGA and was changed to my current number approx a month before I bought it in November 2011 . I have done a few basic searches but can't find out where this number is now, just curious if anyone knows. Just found out that it is on a 2004 Triumph Thruxton 885cc... what a waste!!!

Out of interest, if this reg was not being used could I get this back as it was the original on my bike?

Paul
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Al_Bolton wrote:Slightly confused in what you've written (assuming the mention of the Triumph was an update) but it sounds likely that the number was sold/transferred - a common practice, sadly. This happened to my 1960 G5 - the bike was tarted up to get an MoT so the transfer could go through. It received an age-related registration (they were issuing NNN YUG last year) which I expect yours has now. It makes no odds to me, but I know some people like to have the original reg.
My chum JAJO57 on the forum managed to reclaim his original registration - there's quite a bit about this in one thread but his bike hasn't had the reg sold off...
I suppose you could buy it back from the current owner but it'll be ££££££££££. :evil:
Cheers,
Al
Thanks AL, yes that was an update done very late last night or should I say this morning!! I found it after writing the first bit so just added it on. Mine is a "YUF" . Is this practise an easy thing to do then, ie buy a bike and sell the reg and the bike separately to make more bucks??
Paul
1960 Model 8
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Gives many of us a problem.My bikes have original numbers and are worth(I am told)as much as the bikes are.I would like to fix the number to the bike but that would seem imposible so somewhere down the line they will be sold off. :headbang:
Chemists do it with test tubes
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Some where in the back of my mind I seem to recall you cannot put a cherrished reg. no. on a bike, so buying one or buying back an original number that was sold off to go back on the bike cannot be done.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Original numbers that have been reclaimed since ??? cannot recall the date, anyway, they are non transferable so will stay on the bike.
So some bikes can keep their old reg no's forever.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Rob Harknett wrote:Original numbers that have been reclaimed since ??? cannot recall the date, anyway, they are non transferable so will stay on the bike.
So some bikes can keep their old reg no's forever.
Thanks Rob

Just had a peruse of the DVLA site and yes once bought back if that was possible it would stay on the bike. I have mailed the person I bought the bike from as we stay in contact and asked him about the original reg number, maybe the bike it is on is his, you never know, but then as you said may have to stay on that bike now!! Shame..

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
Al_Bolton

Post by Al_Bolton »

Yep, "YUF" is an age-related number - mine is 546 YUG (was 698 DXU but...well, I had some problems...all documented here arounds). Could be on the seller's bike for selling later or retention. It's a real racket, sadly.

I'd forget it, ride the bike and have some fun! (Weather permitting) :?

Al
Ozmadman wrote:
Al_Bolton wrote:Slightly confused in what you've written (assuming the mention of the Triumph was an update) but it sounds likely that the number was sold/transferred - a common practice, sadly. This happened to my 1960 G5 - the bike was tarted up to get an MoT so the transfer could go through. It received an age-related registration (they were issuing NNN YUG last year) which I expect yours has now. It makes no odds to me, but I know some people like to have the original reg.
Cheers,
Al
Thanks AL, yes that was an update done very late last night or should I say this morning!! I found it after writing the first bit so just added it on. Mine is a "YUF" . Is this practise an easy thing to do then, ie buy a bike and sell the reg and the bike separately to make more bucks??
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

YUG was first issued by Leeds C.B.C in March 1957 last issued April 1957, it must had been revearsed some time after 1995 with numbers prefixing letters. DXU first issued 1937 by London C.C. Later revearsed in 1962 with numbers prefixing the letters . The DVLA do make mistakes and sometimes when an age related number document is issued, they forget to add, this number is not transferable.
Al_Bolton

Post by Al_Bolton »

YUG is in the age-related plate series. My 1960 G5 is 254 XUR, an age-related plate issued 3 years ago by a DVLA office in Suffolk, whilst my Model 8 is 546 YUG, age-related plate issued last year by Reading DVLA local office.

Neither are transferrable according to the V5...

Al

Rob Harknett wrote:YUG was first issued by Leeds C.B.C in March 1957 last issued April 1957, it must had been revearsed some time after 1995 with numbers prefixing letters. DXU first issued 1937 by London C.C. Later revearsed in 1962 with numbers prefixing the letters . The DVLA do make mistakes and sometimes when an age related number document is issued, they forget to add, this number is not transferable.