1937 AJS 'Sports Model' - reg. EKJ 685

Where is that old bike?
se9boy

1937 AJS 'Sports Model' - reg. EKJ 685

Post by se9boy »

I always knew my grandfather was a motor cycle despatch rider in WW2 but have recenly received a copy of his army service records which contained some interesting information.

Amongst the records was an application form to serve in the Territorial Army as a reserve motor cyclist, completed in December 1938 where he confirmed he was the owner of 'EKJ 685' a 1937 AJS 'Sports Model' with 5hp. The document states that he purchased the machine on 01 June 1937 for the sum of £62; I can only presume he purchased it new.

I've done a few quick checks to see if it might still be around but no luck so far. I'd love to find some more info on the bike and would greatly appreciate if those 'in the know' might be able to point me in the right direction. i.e. are there still factory / dealer records?

Any assistance / advice most appreciated.

Steve
Rob Harknett

Re: 1937 AJS 'Sports Model' - reg. EKJ 685

Post by Rob Harknett »

Steve, Send me an email to prewar@jampot.com
Rob Harknett ( AJS & MOC prewar officer. )
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Just to give you a starter, their are no factory records for 1937. But I have plenty of other information.
Most of the info you have given is spot on. EKJ 685 is a Kent registration ( would that had been close to where your father lived? )
It is a 1937 registration number used From April 1937 to September 1937, 685 is about midway, so looks good for a June registration.
5 h.p. well 4.98 actualy, or call it 500c.c. Sports?? there was a de lux 500 c.c model 18 priced at £58 guineas ( £60 and 18 shillings )
which would had been considered Sporty fitted with its black and chrome petrol tank and upswept exhuast pipe, There was also the model 18T 500 c.c which could be refered to as Sports, Competition , Trails etc which sold for £63 quineas. ( £66 & 3 shillings )
I think the bike would had been a model 18 with the added extra of a speedo for £2 or £2 & 5 shillings for a mileage trip speedo, taking the price to about £62. June was only a month before a speedo was required by law in July 1937. That law still applies today.
So an old bike registered before July 1937 need not have a speedo fitted. That will not act as an excuse if you get stoped for speeding though. So send me that e mail with as much info that you have, so I can give you more info of pictures & text.
se9boy

Post by se9boy »

Fantastic, many thanks for the info. I spent a little time on the net last night looking for information and read that AJS was taken over by Matchless (or the company that owned Matchless) and I know that Matchless were based in Plumstead, SE London. ....he lived in Plumstead, so it seems logical that he bought one of their bikes.

Will drop you an email shortly, thankyou.