Oil metering hole size

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
RayRST

Oil metering hole size

Post by RayRST »

Shall I bring my trailer round for the next trip out?
Regards
Ray Kell
REW

Oil metering hole size

Post by REW »

That'd be the new double trailer then Ray, with space for two clappo rigids ?
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
Peter Lecompte

Re: Oil metering hole size

Post by Peter Lecompte »

Hi,
How did the oil metering jet sizing work out after all these years. I am about to sort out a rocker box for a 1957 500 single. The PO has done a few mods to the jets for both the push rods and the exhaust valve lubrication. What about the oil metering jets parts number 018890? Are they the right size once fitted?

Cheers
Peter

Post by 1608 »

From memory, the metering jets I fitted to my G12 have holes 1/32". I believe they are the same on all models. If they were fitted to later models then I see no reason not to fit them on earlier models as a recognized update or improvement. Only a little oil is required to the rocker gear and valve stems on all models otherwise over oiling with the results as described in the extract above can occur.
REW

Post by REW »

My G3 has run very well since I changed the metering arrangement as described in the thread above, namely, reduction of the exhaust valve feed by insertion of a thin brass pipe. It may well take tens of thousands of miles to prove the worth of the modification rather than the few thousand I have done!
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

eemm That head was 66 years old, probably still serviceable, Having had people like me belting the guts out of them in the 50's and 60's. We probably never even noticed the holes, or owned a drill to change the size if we had. Those older than us then ( our elders ) had been used to 1920's early 30's methods of observing if an engine was getting enough oil. The workshop manuals stated you should see a puff of blue smoke coming out the exhaust. We now worry if we see smoke. No smoking now only applies to the riders. The old bikes can still carry on smoking and enjoy a long life.

Post by 1608 »

Great analogy Rob :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: