Steering head adjustment

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
schrottschlecker

Re: Steering head adjustment

Post by schrottschlecker »

Hello,

I was digging out this old thread because I have the same issue with too much slack in my steering head. I had 1 loose headlight bracket and to prevent it from rattling I have added a 1,5mm rubber ring in addition to the old rubber insert. In the manual they advice to do the same with a piece of leather.
Now the top nut is already very tight, but there is still quiet some slack in the steering head.
Could this be the result of adding the rubber rings? Any advice what to do? I don't want to over-tight the nut :o

Cheers,

Christian
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

If you've recently purchased new frame races then there is a good chance that is the problem. It's been discovered that the new replacements are too small in diameter and still float around in the frame cups even when the top nut is fully wound down. There are no replacements available anywhere and the fix is very long winded and involves using epoxy to fix the cups in the frame. Note this only applies to the frame races
schrottschlecker

Same races since 1983. Head adjustment was fine just before I lifted the yoke to slide-in the rubber ring.

Post by 1608 »

If memory serves me right the top nut is the lock nut and the one below is to adjust. I know this sounds counter intuitive but just try it.
clive

Post by clive »

sounds like you fitted the rubber by removing the handlebar yolk to access the stanchion. If you have the rest of the set up the same I would suggest your problem is what you did last i.e. fitting the additional rubbers.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
schrottschlecker

clive wrote:sounds like you fitted the rubber by removing the handlebar yolk to access the stanchion. If you have the rest of the set up the same I would suggest your problem is what you did last i.e. fitting the additional rubbers.
Correct, I lifted the upper handlebar yoke to slide-in the rubber. If I take the new rubbers out and tighten the nut, I have rattling headlamp brackets but steering head is fine. Hmm...bad compromise. Maybe I try a thinner rubber old leather as described in the good old manual :?
clive

Post by clive »

Normally I would suggest leaving the yolk alone and instead remove the stanchions. That way you can establish what thickness padding you need. You will probably need the fork puller to get the stanchions back. Bought mine over 35 years ago and its been invaluable. But now you have moved the yolk dont try tightening up without the stanchions in place as you may well over tighten and wreck those 40 year head races.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix