Use of cellulose

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
john kitchen

Use of cellulose

Post by john kitchen »

Can anyone advise me as to the pro`s and con`s of painting a bike with cellulose?
I have seen a BSA A7 which had been painted in cellulose and it looked excellent.
Is there an advantage to using two-pack?

John Kitchen
gsneyd

Use of cellulose

Post by gsneyd »

2 years ago I had the same problem and asked around, everyone said 2 pack was great with the exception of one person, he said it was brittle and likely to chip. From the greater advise I chose 2 pack- its brittle. An auto repair shop tells me 2 pack is excellent its all in the mixing- so be wary - go to the best place you can.
graham
AJSBSA

Use of cellulose

Post by AJSBSA »

With a little care hand painting can give a very good result, with the advantage it can be touched up easily.
I use Re-Paint and rub down with 1200 grit wet and dry then bring it back up with T-Cut then wax polish.
Use a good quality soft brush and wait a week before rubbing it down with wet and dry. you may have to do this several times a first.
As ever with any sort of painting it is the preparation that is the key.
Steve
silverarrow

Use of cellulose

Post by silverarrow »

Powder coating is a useful finish for frames and brackets etc. cellulose is good for petrol tanks that need that hard deep shine. chips in paint appear in most finishes from time to time but can be treated with a touch up brush that can be bought from car accessory shops, a must for the Barbour Jacket pocket!

Les Smith
Keep smiling
Eric

Use of cellulose

Post by Eric »

I did try to post an extensive reply but lost the link while typing it so take good advice and use good quality two pack or try to find a traditional stove enameler.