1952 or 54 350 single

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
David Porritt.

1952 or 54 350 single

Post by David Porritt. »

this old guy has a 1952 or 54 { I can not remember}350 Single cylinder alloy engined running motorcycle, he claims his friend used to race back in the old days from the 30's to 50's. He said his mate came to England and ordered the engine to be built in alloy, thus making it a bit of an anomoly, I would like to pay the old man what it is worth, no more no less, can anybody give me an idea on what it may be worth? Your help would be much appreciated, he also has this cool looking Rudge motorcycle made sometime in the 1930's, it is some kind of small factory single cylinder racer, if the AJS is not too pricey, I may be able to buy the two bikes, thanks alot David
Rohan B.

1952 or 54 350 single

Post by Rohan B. »

The actual engine number would be a great deal of help here. AJS/Matchless built road engines with iron cylinders and alloy heads, and also built a competition bike with all alloy engine. With a bit of work it is possible to fit the alloy cylinder to a road bike, but this takes a bit of modification.

Depending on how original it is, the "compy" bike is usually worth a bit more that a road bike, a very original one can be a real collectors item - if you can find the right buyer...

Rudge 4 valve bikes from the 1930s are also highly sought after, the 500cc "Ulster" Model is highly regarded, brings a very good price in good condition. The 250 models are also sought after, but bring less money.

Condition is everything in old bikes, impossible to value it without seeing it - ones mans "original" can be a cobbled up heap....

The 52/54 would probably make a good road bike, as spares are readily available. The Rudge is real enthusiast territory, still good on the road but more a collectors bike these days.

Hopethishelps, & Good Luck,
Rohan.