AJS Porcupine

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Jean Landry.

AJS Porcupine

Post by Jean Landry. »

Some time ago I posted a note asking for information on the possible existence of an E-95 MK-II Porcupine. Unfortunately I haven't had any luck, so I'm giving it another try! Team Obsolete in the USA claims to have one in it's possession and, to my knowledge, there is no such thing as a MK-II. Can you help???
Rohan B.

AJS Porcupine

Post by Rohan B. »

There were several different versions of Porcupine, and Team Obsolete do have an engine of the last type produced. I don't know what a Mk2 is, and they call theirs an E95. Their website shows quite a lot of it, quite facinating !!
http://www.teamobsolete.com/porc/porcupine.html

The original porc was intended/designed for supercharging, but when that was banned it was built anyway, and raced in 1948. Engine lay horizontally forward, but had tremendous cooling problems. It was redesigned with the engine canted forward about 45 degrees (don't quote me on exact angle), still never won a race. I think it has been called the unluckiest engine never to win a race. I recall reading it broke a magneto spindle only 12 miles from winning convincingly the Senior TT, must have been heartbreaking for the rider and designers.

When you look at all the fabulous designs that came out of AJS - cammy singles, supercharged v-twins, supercharged V4s, Porcs, 7R, (& G50s) none of them achieved the success they deserved. With a little more development and luck, all of them could have been world-beaters, & only now is the potential of the G50 being realised.

That supercharged watercooled V4 is the one I would pick if I could only have one bike in the museum. 50 years later H*nda took it and developed it to be the RC45 - and still couldn't win a World Superbike Championship !!

The Porc was discussed on the AJS & Matchless chat list a while back, on e-groups chatlist website.

Hopethishelps,
Rohan.
gacorner

AJS Porcupine

Post by gacorner »

The Porccs were never to my knowledge known by "marks" but the later design with the engine canted up the way and without the name giving finning! could probably be regarded, as Rohan says as Mk2.
At least 2 of these are running now. Are there any of the early ones left of the type Les Graham rode?

Geo
Jean Landry.

AJS Porcupine

Post by Jean Landry. »

Thanks to those who have sent in their comments, but I still need more input!!! The mystery is still complete. Was there ever an official MK2 E95 Porcupine, or is Team Obsolete making up the whole story? I would dearly love to know.