Silver Streak

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
ianw1

Re: Silver Streak

Post by ianw1 »

Thanks Rob, I removed the mag sprocket with a small 2 legged puller. Is it recomended to replace the timing chain?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Thinking about changing the mag chain, in 64 years I have never replaced a mag or dynamo chain. They are not under the strain a primary or rear chain is.
ianw1

Post by ianw1 »

Thank you again Rob.
ianw1

Post by ianw1 »

Hi Dave, sorry not to have come back to you sooner, I've only just removed the front wheel.
The outside diameter of the brake plate is 6" & the diameter of the brake shoes is 5 1/2".
There is nothing within the hub to drive a speedo gearbox, the centre wheel bearing housing does have a thread on the outside.
There is a plug in the front of the brake plate where I think the speedo gearbox would sit but there doesn't seem the space on the rear with the brake shoes being so close to the "hole".
I think my engine gearbox is a Burman Type CP as the engine number finishes with an "A"?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

You must have the wrong front wheel. 1938 had front wheel with speedo drive. The bike will need a speedo to be road legal.
ianw1

Post by ianw1 »

Thanks Rob. While trawling the net for pics of Silver Streaks I've seen quite a few of them without speedos fitted.
The brake plate I have has the hole where I think the speedo gearbox would sit which has a blank plug in it. On the brake shoe side there just does not seem the space for any speedo drive given the close proximity of the shoes to the hole?
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

My '38 model 26 had a slim gear which screwed onto that boss at the back of the hub. The speedo drive threaded into the boss on the brakeplate . It had a small gear which was fixed with a pin to the shaft of the speedo drive. I don't know anyone with this set-up you could ask for pictures which would help. They do come up on ebay occasionally but the gears have to have the correct ratio to mesh properly. I think your gearbox is a later, smooth type HP1. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Dave.
ianw1

Post by ianw1 »

Thank you Dave.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

ianw1 wrote:Thanks Rob. While trawling the net for pics of Silver Streaks I've seen quite a few of them without speedos fitted.
The brake plate I have has the hole where I think the speedo gearbox would sit which has a blank plug in it. On the brake shoe side there just does not seem the space for any speedo drive given the close proximity of the shoes to the hole?
A 350 registered after July 1937 would need a speedo. I got stopped by police in 1957 on my 37/26. They wanted to nic me for no speedo. I told them the bike was registered before July 1937. They followed me home to look at my log book.
ianw1

Post by ianw1 »

Thanks Rob, I think the easiest thing for me to do is to fit a GPS speedometer, not very inkeeping with the age of the bike but it will keep it legal & I can remove it.