Silver Streak

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
ianw1

Silver Streak

Post by ianw1 »

Hi, I'm new to the club.
I've just bought a 1938 Silver Streak & the magneto is dead, I've been looking for gaskets before I remove the mag but can't find any for the engine.
Is there another AJS engine that is common to the Silver Streak gaskets please?
dave16mct

Re: Silver Streak

Post by dave16mct »

Hi, welcome to the club. No gaskets are needed to remove and replace the mag, no gasket on timing cover. What cc is it? If it's the 350, some gaskets might be the same as Matchless WD G3L and later 350 models. E.g. oilpump end caps, timing chest to crankcase, not sure about barrel base gasket or head gasket.
Dave.
ianw1

Post by ianw1 »

Thanks very much Dave. Yes, it's a 350, it was the timing cover I was worried about. Next question, best place to get the mag overhauled please?
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Tony Cooper,
110, Olive Lane,
Halesowen,
West Midlands,
B62 8LT
Tel 0121 559 2405
Fax 0121 561 2410

I presume you've checked/cleaned the slipring, checked the carbon brush isn't stuck/worn/missing, HT lead, plugcap or even sparkplug are OK? Points clean and set?

Whereabouts are you?
Dave.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Hi Ian

Do you have the parts book: http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... s_List.pdf

You can use this file to check the updated part numbers: http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... ements.pdf

The 1939 rocker box uses the same rocker box gasket as the Iron head bikes up to 1949, you have probably got the 1937/38 rocker box: http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... _Parts.pdf
ianw1

Post by ianw1 »

Hi Dave, many thanks for the replies, yes I've done all the checks, no spark, I'll treat it to a recon.
While I was kicking the bike over checking of a spark, I noticed clean engine oil coming from the breather pipe to the front of the primary case. I'd checked the oil level in the tank which was about 1/3rd full. Can these engines drain the tank into the crankcase over time?
ianw1

Post by ianw1 »

Thank you Duncan, I'll have a good read, so much good info.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Yes they can wet sump over time, usually due to wear of the oilpump bore. In normal use it may not be a problem. When you get your mag back, drain the sump before starting up. We do have a Silver Streak in our section (North West) but obviously no meetings at the moment.
Dave.
ianw1

Post by ianw1 »

Thanks Dave, I fogot to say I'm from the Wirral Merseyside.
The bike is totally original, hasn't been restored at all, I think I'll keep it that way.
Strange, it has never been fitted with a speedo & has no facility on the front wheel to fit one.
ianw1

Post by ianw1 »

Hi Duncan, do you have anymore illustrations of the engine please?