Centre stand top hat bushes?

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Taid

Re: Centre stand top hat bushes?

Post by Taid »

As I recall, having done the job once (so open to correction), the top-hat bushes and spacer are clamped solidly between the frame rails, and the stand rotates about the stationary bushes .. it can move slightly side to side, limited by the flanges on the bushes .. you probably will need to slacken the footpeg fastening to get the stand out and the replacement in ..

It can be done leaning the bike against a wall .. best leaning to the right (offside) ..

Thank you to the guys who have commented in a number of threads on this topic .....
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
Chazzyb

Post by Chazzyb »

Crikey, I'm none the wiser after the responses here. Unless I've misunderstood, Taid seems to be suggesting the tophat bushes are inserted from the outside into the stand. That's in distinct contrast to Mick D who says from the inside.

As it stands [get it...], the stops on the stand look as though they won't clear the nuts on one side of the long through-stud for the bottom of the gear box.

TBH, I only started looking at all of this again when I discovered the engine plate to frame spacer on the RH side of the footrest bar didn't fill the gap. Turns out I have two spacers of 13/16" instead of one and the other of 1".
Charles
John Jarrett

Post by John Jarrett »

Definitely on the inside of the stand.
Hope this picture helps.
Centrestand1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Just be aware that the stud square plays a part in holding the bottom rails together and needs to be tight or handling may be affected.

Johnny B
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Unless I've misunderstood, Taid and I are saying the same thing.

When the whole pivot assembly, stud, washers, nuts, bushes and spacer are clamped together between the frame rails the centre stand rotates about the bushes.

The 'ears' on the stand have very little clearance to the lower gearbox stud, make sure you have the correct length stud installed and there are no washers under the nuts.

Regards Mick
Chazzyb

Post by Chazzyb »

John Jarrett wrote:Definitely on the inside of the stand.
Hope this picture helps.
Centrestand1.jpg
It certainly does! Thanks. It also suggests the stand 'ears' aren't entirely in line with the legs, meaning it needs to go one way round to stop it going too far forward? As I have it assembled, the stand goes a long way forward and the rear wheel is clearly touching the ground an inch lower than it should be. I even built up a very worn 'ear' with weld before it was powder coated. :roll:

These things are sent to try us. And this is certainly trying me... :headbang:
Charles
Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

The easy lift stand is the way to go. But in the meantime I still have the one I took off to fit the easy lift. You can have it if you like. I won't sell it as I wouldnt like to be responsible for putting anybodys back out. You are close enough to pop over for it.
Stan
Taid

Post by Taid »

Chazzyb wrote:Crikey, I'm none the wiser after the responses here. Unless I've misunderstood, Taid seems to be suggesting the tophat bushes are inserted from the outside into the stand. That's in distinct contrast to Mick D who says from the inside.

Perhaps I did not explain as well as I thought .. sorry .. the bushes, as shewn elsewhere, do go from the inside ..
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
Chazzyb

Post by Chazzyb »

Thanks all for your help. I got the stand out with the bike on the side stand while up on my hydraulic bench. Bushes inserted from the inside of the stand. The spring...

I used a big cable tie to tension the spring. Worked a treat.
AJS-Stand-Spring.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Charles