Cycle Thread Gland Nut

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Mick D

Cycle Thread Gland Nut

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I'm in the process of making an anti wet sump tap, (I know the potential for disaster here but I hope I can mitigate it).
I am looking for a supplier of a gland nut with a 5/8" x 20 TPI BSCY thread, any ideas as my searches keep coming up blank?
It's the gland nut which attaches to the filtered outlet of the oil tank on a hybrid - I'd rather not butcher the one that came with the bike and I baulk at paying £35 to butcher a repro assembly :o

Regards Mick
Andy51

Re: Cycle Thread Gland Nut

Post by Andy51 »

Not familiar with hybrids (I assume you mean the later AMC frame with Norton 750 engine); they were made late in the day when the UK bike industry was moving over to UNC threads. However, they may have still been using BSP thread for oilways and tank fittings, in which case 3/8 in BSP is 0.656 in dia, 19 TPI, which is very close to 5/8 by 20 TPI. I would have thought that they had stopped using BSC by then - AMC hardly ever used 20 TPI, mostly 26 TPI, BA, BSP and BSF for studs, plus a couple of specials for things like crankpin nuts. As for Norton, I would have thought they used the same. UNC/F 5/8 in are 11 and 18 TPI respectively. If it is 3/8 BSP, these are readily available on eBay for a few quid. Hope this helps, Andy
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

tap.jpg
recently fitted to a 1965 twin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roy
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Thanks Roy

Does that system retain the in tank strainer? - Mine looks like this:
Strainer.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

No i used the 011924 ENGINE OIL FEED PIPE UNION. WITH WASHER and drilled it out for a better flow that made the brass adapter from one of the bottom spigots. the filter seemed to restrict the oil flow.
011924.jpg
Roy
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Thanks Roy

On mine the flow looks to be governed by the 3/16" bore on the oil manifold where the pipes are sleeved:
Oil Manifold.png
Neat solution though :beer:

Regards Mick
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Just as an aside Mick I have found a drawing off the t piece seat fixing bracket. I'll get it to you by either scanning or sending by snail mail whichever has the better resolution.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Thanks Rob

A photo of the drawing may be another option.

I'm realising that Hybrids are a bit of a challenge in so much as the documentation has few illustrations :? - Still this will set me up for a Lightweight next :rofl:

Regards Mick