G3LS Dynamo Locating Strip

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
AMCiv861

G3LS Dynamo Locating Strip

Post by AMCiv861 »

Please can anyone advise that when fitting a dynamo locating strip 010962 on Lucas dynamo E3N-LC 200038. The strip will be at approx. 10 o clock position when looking from right side of bike. This is under the dynamo clamping strap 017197. Is this ok or by the fact that the dynamo is a neat fit in the clamping strap, the strip position should fall at approx. 2 o clock position at the open section of the clamping strap. If this is the case something is amiss on my bike eg. wrong dynamo. Thanks in advance and trust this has not been asked too many times.
56G80S

Re: G3LS Dynamo Locating Strip

Post by 56G80S »

Hi, you don't seem to have a response so I'll give you a bump up the active topics list and make a comment.

I wouldn't worry about the locating strip being under the strap. Provided that you have the right length chain and it's adjusted correctly (from memory 1/4 inch whip). It is more important to ensure that the chain run between the dynamo sprocket and the engine drive shaft dynamo sprocket are in line. This ensures the gap between the primary chain and dynamo chain. If they clash it can be very unpleasant.

Good luck.

Johnny B
clive

Post by clive »

The Dynamo sprocket is off centre and so could be turned in two direction to tighten the chain. I imagine one of them would raise the chain so it is too near top of the case.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
AMCiv861

Post by AMCiv861 »

Hello Johnny B.
Thank you for your reply to my query. You have eliminated my concern about the dynamo locating strip being under the clamping strap. I will now proceed to ensure the sprockets are in line.
Regards John.