Poor starting

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
bunners

Poor starting

Post by bunners »

Good Afternoon Chaps

I have dragged the M18 out over the last few days and given it a thorough service, plugs points oil's, carb stripped and cleaned etc, etc.
Just add I have not run it for over a year now. But what happens is if I flood the carb it starts first kick just as it always did it will run few a few heart beats 5 secs or so and then stops. go through the same procedure tickle it and it starts again first kick. take jets out again and all clear, go through the old routine and same thing happens.
Am I missing something obvious here? :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Before some clever dicky say "you aint got a kick start" it is an early picture taken during construction.

Bunners
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If there is life after Death whats the point of dying in the first place.
Mick D

Re: Poor starting

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Sounds like your bypass air gallery is blocked, blow it through and try again.

Regards Mick
bunners

Post by bunners »

Hi Mick

I thanks for the quick response, took notice of your theory and did as you suggested, blew through and carb cleaner.
Sorry to say it still responded as before, so what I did in total frustration and remembering when I had the same issue with a Bonneville many years ago
I screwed the air screw all the way in, it was 1 1/2 turns out, and believe it or not it started and ran, now I am totally confused.com, air screw now out 3/4 of a turn
any more and it starts to falter.

Bunners
If there is life after Death whats the point of dying in the first place.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Result Bunners :D :D

1 - 1/2 turns out on the pilot air screw is only a starting point, if the best compromise between the air screw and throttle stop is air screw out 3/4 of a turn that's fine.

Enjoy the bike

Regards Mick

Post by 1608 »

If it will only run when the air screw is fully in then you may have an air intake -leak. Letting the screw out weakens the idle mixture therefore you are simply making matters worse.