Front Brake no stopping power.

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Stan Palmer

Re: Front Brake no stopping power.

Post by Stan Palmer »

Safetek linings improved mine a lot. Even so my son, normally using discs, was convinced they don't work at all. He actually thought he would slow and pull into our drive from about 30mph. Overshot by about 20 feet. Advise getting somebody used to these bikes to try them. At least it would benchmark where you are.
Stan

Post by 1608 »

Centralising the shoes is the first thing I'd check and easing off the trailing shoe also helps. Both of mine stop as well as I would expect them to. However if you have been used to disc brakes then its a bit like getting back into an older car without pa brakes, frightening! but you get used to it.
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

I skimmed my brake shoes on a lathe and they worked pretty well. I have been riding G80/18S for well over 40 years and have got used to the front brakes - not the best, but adequate for their era. I have just finished putting a BSA 8 in single sided brake on my G80, and once I have got the engine running, will test and report. I am also working on a 2 LS conversion for my 18S, but do not expect to finish for some months. Cheers, Andy
Rog535

Post by Rog535 »

Thanks all for the input. Going to have to spend some time invesstigating and try few of your pointers. I'm sure the brakes aren't working to half their efficiency as to what they should as really are shocking. It's as much any emergency braking being the danger rhat worries me 😳
Chazzyb

Post by Chazzyb »

Let's be honest, the brakes on our old clunkers are crap, no matter what we do to them. Recognise that and ride as appropriately as you can for the road and traffic conditions. I live at the top of a 1:4 hill and hate going down it as I know the brakes aren't up to it.

My modern BICYCLE has disk brakes and they are awesome!
Charles
clive

Post by clive »

Chazzyb wrote:Let's be honest, the brakes on our old clunkers are crap, no matter what we do to them. Recognise that and ride as appropriately as you can for the road and traffic conditions. I live at the top of a 1:4 hill and hate going down it as I know the brakes aren't up to it.

My modern BICYCLE has disk brakes and they are awesome!
Not sure I would agree with you Charles. I have 5 1/2 inch brakes on one of my bikes and I am (now) just below 15 stone, I can lock the front wheel after having the drum skimmed.

In my experience you can get brakes that will stop you by

1. Making sure the brake arm is at less than 90 degrees (just) to the cable when full on. Use washers under the thrust pins to achieve this.
2. Make sure there is no acute bend in the cable which should be well oiled using a cable oiler
3. Centre the brake shoes by applying the brake when tightening up the spindle.
4. If the brake lever appears to fluctuate when the brakes are applied then the drum probably needs skimming.
5. If they still frighten you follow the Spriddler trailing shoe amputation trick.

Of course they do not compare to disc brakes unless it is the ridiculous chromed discs on the mid 70s Triumphs, fine in the dry but heaven help you if you went out in the wet. I had just about worn all the chroming off my front disc when the bike was stolen!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Echo Clive's comment.

Johnny B
Chazzyb

Post by Chazzyb »

I have to admit I've not ridden my 18S for probably 10 years. I have a recollection of doing the trailing shoe thing many years ago and not really seeing much (any?) improvement. Of course, it may be the linings were rubbish in the first place. I recall them being exceedingly soft. :?

Clive, if you're down to sub-15 stone, will I recognise you? Mind you, lockdown has been good to me in that department too. ;)
Charles
clive

Post by clive »

Chazzyb wrote:?

Clive, if you're down to sub-15 stone, will I recognise you? Mind you, lockdown has been good to me in that department too. ;)
Its only half a stone so far Charles so I am not sure the difference is startling
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

clive wrote:
Chazzyb wrote:?

Its only half a stone so far Charles so I am not sure the difference is startling
That's because you have a big birthday cake every year........

(You probably guessed this photo would be coming, Clive ;) )
Clive's b'day.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'