DVLA Under Covid 19?

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Mick D

DVLA Under Covid 19?

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I'm struggling to get a bike on the road :(

Early this year and in receipt of a V5C in my name I tried to SORN the bike on line - I was advised I couldn't use that service so sent the V62 by post.

No response and now, three months plus later, I'd like to put the bike on the road - I've insured it and need to tax it, (as an Historic Vehicle), - again I can't do this online :evil:

Tomorrow I'll take my documents to the Post Office but won't hold my breath for a satisfactory resolution.

Have I missed a step or do I have to accept not riding a perfectly roadworthy bike due to the vagaries of the online system?

Regards Mick
G15 Roy

Re: DVLA Under Covid 19?

Post by G15 Roy »

If you have a Current V5C in you name then the Post office have the power to change is tax class to Historic and can tax it for free, I done this only last week.
Roy
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Star :)

Thanks Roy - Fingers crossed

Regards Mick
les ward

Post by les ward »

I have a Yamaha XS650 which has just reached the ripe old age of 40. The day before we were locked down I took the log book and the form saying it was exempt from an MOT to the PO. They changed its taxation class to Historic taxed it there and then and I got the new V5c about a week ago.
Expat

Post by Expat »

Les, I have a right arm that you might take in exchange for your ‘XS2'? I had a ‘73 model back then and still remember the sound and torque of that engine, not so much the elastic frame! My mate Rob had one too and we thought we were the dogs, tooling around locally in se London and on several trips to the West Country.

I remember the saddles used to soak up rainwater, then soak our bums until we put polythene sheet over the foam.

Still have fond memories of one of my fave bikes.
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Result :D :D

The Post Office changed the classification and taxed the bike, no problems - they advised the return of the V5C may take longer than the published up to 6 weeks :o :o

Just as you said Roy :beer:

Regards Mick
dodger

Post by dodger »

I bought a Ariel Leader on ebay 2 weeks ago, the vendor informed the DVLA of the change of owner ship on line the same day. The V5c arrived 1 week later, I SORNED it on line the day I got the V5c and received a confirm of SORN by email in less than 30 minutes, so DVLA seems to be up and running OK now.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

dodger wrote:I bought a Ariel Leader on ebay 2 weeks ago, the vendor informed the DVLA of the change of owner ship on line the same day. The V5c arrived 1 week later, I SORNED it on line the day I got the V5c and received a confirm of SORN by email in less than 30 minutes, so DVLA seems to be up and running OK now.
That is because its online with no need for any human input so if you can do this its the best way at this time.
Roy
dodger

Post by dodger »

G15 Roy wrote:
dodger wrote:I bought a Ariel Leader on ebay 2 weeks ago, the vendor informed the DVLA of the change of owner ship on line the same day. The V5c arrived 1 week later, I SORNED it on line the day I got the V5c and received a confirm of SORN by email in less than 30 minutes, so DVLA seems to be up and running OK now.
That is because its online with no need for any human input so if you can do this its the best way at this time.
Surely it would have needed a human to process it, put it in an envelope and pass it to the post department.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

dodger wrote:The V5c arrived 1 week later, I SORNED it on line the day I got the V5c and received a confirm of SORN by email in less than 30 minutes, so DVLA seems to be up and running OK now.
Strange - I had a V5C in my name yet I couldn't SORN online :? and subsequently I couldn't tax online nor change the tax classification - Ahh well

Regards Mick