1955 AJS M16 front forks

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Morbec1

1955 AJS M16 front forks

Post by Morbec1 »

Hi Help needed I have at last decided to restore my AJS big problem front forks locked solid I have managed to free one leg but the other leg will not free I have tried WD40, heat and gentile force to no avail any suggestions, (I need to change the stanchions), also where can I purchase a thin wall socket/box spanner to remove the remove bolt that fits in the bottom of the fork leg.

Phil
Mick D

Re: 1955 AJS M16 front forks

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The sockets in this set are thin walled and of good quality - I have a set and can confirm they fit the fork damper bolt

As regards the stuck fork, do you mean the stanchion is stuck in the slider? If so remove the chrome slider extension, poke the thin red nozzle from the WD40 aerosol down between the stanchion and seal and spray liberally, then a combination of twisting the stanchion with Stilsons and hitting the end with a soft hammer should get things moving. Try not to beat the stanchion too far down the slider, keep pulling it back up and rotating, it will come out.

Regards Mick
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

and dont heat it up too much if you have the plastic bushes. I brought a set of 3/8" drive 'lazer' sockets off EBAy. cheap and cheerful, probably the same as seeley and came out of the same factory. Im not going to complain about my set
anthony kosecki

Post by anthony kosecki »

I did mine a couple of months ago and it was hell. Took me a week to get both out. Engineer's vice, crowbars, stilsons, wd40, heat, proper hammer (non of this soft head leather, wood etc nonsense) and on and on it went. Both were siezed solid. The best advice I can give is that once you've removed the clamping screw, hammer a 1/2 inch cold chisel into the adjacent slot. This helps to open the clamp. With that in place give plenty of heat and wd40 and give the side of the clamp lots of short sharp taps (until your arm aches). The mismatch in the acoustic coupling between the corrosion and the clean metal helps to break the bond. Anyway, after doing this several times a day over several days there was a tiny movement and the it was a case of rotating the tube back and forth using the stilsons (adjacent to each other but working in opposite directions). It worked eventually and that's when I realised the extent of the corrosion and that the forks may no longer be viable......sigh.......
Morbec1

Post by Morbec1 »

Mick D wrote:Hi

The sockets in this set are thin walled and of good quality - I have a set and can confirm they fit the fork damper bolt

As regards the stuck fork, do you mean the stanchion is stuck in the slider? If so remove the chrome slider extension, poke the thin red nozzle from the WD40 aerosol down between the stanchion and seal and spray liberally, then a combination of twisting the stanchion with Stilsons and hitting the end with a soft hammer should get things moving. Try not to beat the stanchion too far down the slider, keep pulling it back up and rotating, it will come out.

Regards Mick
thanks Mick I have ordered a set of sockets and thanks for the advice

Phil (morbecc)
Morbec1

Post by Morbec1 »

Thanks all for the advice and guidance

Morbec