Frame number query

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Jonny2532

Frame number query

Post by Jonny2532 »

Hi all

I have recently acquired an old Matchless motorcycle that my late father had purchased from an old WW2 airbase in the early 70's. It's in need of restoration but we don't have any documentation for it so don't know what it is!

I found what I believe is the frame number on the frame under the seat (on right hand side of the frame) - the frame number is 8332. I entered this into the Dating Service website link and it came back as a 1960 lightweight G2. From my limited research I don't think that the frame number is in the correct place for a G2 - am I correct?

The bike has twin forks at the front on each side and has a large spring at the centre top of that gives some clue as to its model and age! My dad had always believed it was a war time motorbike but he maybe only assumed that as he had bought it at an old base. It is also dark green but I think dad repainted it when he got it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
gotoole

Re: Frame number query

Post by gotoole »

Possibly pre 1941 or ex wd
Did you see this message on the dating page

"No Pre-War or EX WD Factory records, limited information from 1921 to 1941

WE RECOMMEND THAT YOU DO NOT USE THIS SYSTEM FOR BIKES THAT ARE NOT LISTED ABOVE."
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

If you join the club you will be able to post photos and all your questions will be answered ;) ;)

Regards Mick
clive

Post by clive »

If the bike is WD, the front forks you describe sound like girder forks and would mean it was from the 1940 contract and would be a 40 G3-WO. The frame number would fit contract for early 1941. see http://www.matchlesswd.co.uk/wp-content ... detail.pdf Does the engine have a number on it? Trouble is the Army used to swop engines around during servicing to make the turn around quicker so it may not be that which it left the factory with. Photo would enable the identification to be confirmed.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Frame numbers were restarted many times during prewar years. They were also restarted for G3/WO, G3/L ( WD ) then again for post war bikes. So the number will appear in all four era's. Also for early prewar years, each Matchless model had its own number series. So the same number would appear for each model. Therefore the frame model needs to be confirmed. Wolverhampton AJS numbers can confirm year and model of frame engine and gearbox. Excluding 1930 to 1932 for which years I have discovered no books with factual dating evidence.
There is some prewar documentation the DVLA accept as factual dating. These are not factory records, but are numbers supplied by manufacturers.
A frame with a number you quote would need visual examination to decide which of the era's I have mentioned above, the frame is from.
I actually discovered the old trade books that gives the numbers. Then along with assistance from the FBHVC got the DVLA, to accept as factual dating evidence from the old books, for dating. I have a letter from the DVLA saying I can give info from my books. I made a file of just AJS & Matchless numbers and gave it to the club Dating officer. Due to the fact a frame with a number such as yours would need visual inspection, the dating officer would have to do this in person. Dating a machine is done on the frame number.
Jonny2532

Post by Jonny2532 »

Thank you all for your replies! I will join the club this evening once I finish work as I think a few photos might help identify the bike for sure.

The engine number is 40/G3 44971. Probably not the original engine as has been suggested but is this period correct?

Will hopefully get photos sorted this evening.

Thanks again to everyone for the information so far!