1948 16m charging issue

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
got2BaSBT

Re: 1948 16m charging issue

Post by got2BaSBT »

To me from the photos it's obvious that it's not original because of the wires which can be seen, the whole beauty of the bike to me is its crudeness and originality.
If this one from India is rubbish then I will have to think again, but the old one that's on it served my uncle reliably for the 80k odd miles he rode on it, so it should last me ok for a pootle down the lane when the sun's shining😊
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Sounds good, enjoy. Stick with what you are comfortable with for your uses.

Johnny B
Groily

Post by Groily »

This might be a bit handy if you haven't already been there: https://www.matchlessclueless.com/elect ... regulator/
This, from another owners' forum, may also give a few clues: https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=10177.0
clive

Post by clive »

reading the symptoms you describe I would say your current regulator is capable of adjustment. I fitted DVR2 to all of my bikes years ago as I also use the solid state batteries (AGM?) which do not like overcharging. If you are using a lead acid battery and not riding at slow speeds with lights on the old regulator should be fine and your current one may be adjustable so retaining greater originality. When I was using the Lucas unit I had the same trouble as you and the problem was I think the gap between the coil and the plate it attracts to pull it over (you say that once pushed into contact it functions correctly until the revs die down). If I remember correctly there is a screw to change the tension on the return spring and a screw to adjust the gap between the plate and the coil. I would start with checking the gap is correct and if it still does not work reducing the spring tension until it pulls over. Hopefully it will then still break the circuit when the revs drop. if it does not reduce the gap and increase spring tension, both fractions at a time. Hopefully I have remembered correctly as its got to be 30 years since I worked on this problem! There may be only the one adjustment screw, for the gap between coil and plate, and the return spring being the tension in the point arm. I will look at one of the sets I have on the shelf next time I am in the garage, its revarnishing the wooden floors at the moment!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

To me from the photos it's obvious that it's not original because of the wires which can be seen, the whole beauty of the bike to me is its crudeness and originality.
...and an Indian made regulator is more original because?
The whole concept of originality is rather ridiculous - do you have the original tyres that were fitted at the factory and do they have the original air in them? Are you using pool petrol?
My brother and I now own our dad's G80S, bought new in 1955. We have the bill of sale, it carries its original registration and we can account for every mile it has covered but it is not original - it can't be. Things wear out and are replaced. New technology allows improvement in performance such as the electronic dynamo regulator, AGM batteries are better than simple lead/acid types, LED lamps allow the dynamo to have an easier life and provide better illumination than the tungsten "originals". Modern tyre compounds and profiles give better roadholding and grip and modern internals allow the Jampots to work better than they ever did when new and stainless steel components don't rust. Have we destroyed the bike by adding these updates - of course not, our dad would still recognize it and it would be no different in terms of the riding experience than when he wheeled it out of Hallens' show room in St Ives sixty-five years ago - it's still a long-stroke 500cc single cylinder motorcycle with all the inherent idiosyncrasies still intact.
clive

Post by clive »

Each to his/her own views. Personally i update my bikes but if the owner wants to stick with the Lucas unit so be it. I hope he gets it sorted.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
got2BaSBT

Post by got2BaSBT »

Well said Clive.
Blimey all I did was ask for a little bit of advice, I've never been a member of a owners club before and I'm starting to wonder if I've made a mistake!
The world would be a very boring place if everyone had the same opinions and ideas, infact I normally find myself happily going against the grain!
I totally understand the benefits of improving things with modern components that are fitted discretely and I am not so opionated that I would argue that that is wrong, each to their own.
In this case however I have decided to replace the old unit with a copy to the original design. Of course it won't be the original unit, but it will be as close as possible to being so.
So in answer to your question about originality, no it isn't the original petrol, no they aren't the original tyres and no it isn't the original air. But yes it is all as near as possible to the original design, I don't want it to corner better, have better lights, go faster or in any way be different from how it was built, as to me this is what I enjoy about the bike. If I did want to improve everything I would just forget it and ride one of my Jap bikes instead, long stroke or not.

Regards
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

got2BaSBT wrote:Well said Clive.
Blimey all I did was ask for a little bit of advice, I've never been a member of a owners club before and I'm starting to wonder if I've made a mistake!
The world would be a very boring place if everyone had the same opinions and ideas, infact I normally find myself happily going against the grain!
I totally understand the benefits of improving things with modern components that are fitted discretely and I am not so opionated that I would argue that that is wrong, each to their own.
In this case however I have decided to replace the old unit with a copy to the original design. Of course it won't be the original unit, but it will be as close as possible to being so.
So in answer to your question about originality, no it isn't the original petrol, no they aren't the original tyres and no it isn't the original air. But yes it is all as near as possible to the original design, I don't want it to corner better, have better lights, go faster or in any way be different from how it was built, as to me this is what I enjoy about the bike. If I did want to improve everything I would just forget it and ride one of my Jap bikes instead, long stroke or not.

Regards
Well I suppose all you got in reality was advice. If you wish to have reliable charging and use the bike anytime day or night use a DVR2. If you simply wish to pootle around and are not worried about night time use then adjust or use an Indian CVC box. Whatever, just enjoy it and have fun. One thing though, don't ask about oil!! :rofl: :rofl: