Rear wheel bearings

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Beefheart

Rear wheel bearings

Post by Beefheart »

Hi ( I am trying to remove the rear wheel bearings on my 53 G3, I have been going by the book by applying pressure from the circlip end, no joy. The circlip sits in a collar that has slots for C spanner? this makes me think it's removable but there is no reference to it in the manual and the parts book seems to show it as one piece with the hub. Is this a bearing retainer? Naturally I am reluctant to get heavy handed with it in case I have missed something. Thanks in anticipation.
SPRIDDLER

Re: Rear wheel bearings

Post by SPRIDDLER »

See page 65. Are you referring to part no. 26 (Locknut for adjusting ring)? in the illustration here:
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... ingles.pdf
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

The circlip is at the speedo gearbox side. At the other side you have to loosen the locknut and remove the bearing adjuster. Then the bearings can be removed from the circlip end.
Dave
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Loosen the locknut and nut at the opposite end of the circlip, Tap the bearings from the circlip end to take the pressure off the circlip and then the circlip should be easy to remove. Then push the bearings out the circlip end.
Beefheart

Post by Beefheart »

Thanks chaps I was doing it right then,had to give it a bit more welly (maybe I'm getting timid in old age),fortunately after cleaning the bearings are good. Now off to the paint shop with the hub.