Alternator replacement for E3N dynamo ..16MS

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Taid

Alternator replacement for E3N dynamo ..16MS

Post by Taid »

Having fitted some electronics which require 12v negative earth, I am looking at my options for repair/replacement of the dynamo, which I suspect I blew up (being careless) changing to negative earth ..

The dynamo can be rewound and set for 12v neg earth, but physical restraints limit it to 36 watts (3 amp) ..

Modern electronic voltage controllers do not sense/control maximum current, or so I am am told, so monitoring current becomes a requirement.

Also, what little I have seen using the LED headlight bulb I have fitted leaves much to be desired, but to use a quartz halogen BPF bulb would draw too much current so I am looking at getting an alternator. I have found two which, the makers say, will physically fit in place of the E3N (The Alton, via Paul Goff, and one from 'Oldtimer Garage' which seems to be in Poland)

There are various posts about the Alton on the forum, with no negative comments (that I have found) .. does anyone know about the Oldtimer Garage unit, or any other replacement alternator.

.. as an aside, the largest capacity 12v battery I have found that fits into the carrier is only 3.8 AH (an AGM unit) is there one of similar physical size to the old 6v unit with better capacity?
Last edited by Taid on Sun May 10, 2020 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
Mick D

Re: Alternator replacement for E3N dynamo ..16MS

Post by Mick D »

Hi

This battery is 12V 8Ah and, according to its dimensions would fit inside my replica Lucas battery box:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/motorcycle-batt ... tt/mbtx7u/

If it doesn't suit your requirements I expect another of the Motobatt range will.

Alton generators have very strong permanent magnets installed in them and as such can produce additional noise from their drive train at tickover / low revs

Regards Mick
clive

Post by clive »

I have two Alton units on my bikes. One has been repaired by an electrical genius friend, it weighs a ton and lasted many years before dying ( I probably bought it 30 years ago!), it only needed an internal wire mended and soldiers on. For a period they were supplied with an internal plastic gear which failed so beware of a secondhand unit. The more recent replacement is lighter and has no such gear, it works well. They are not cheap and require an on off switch in the circuit (or did when I last bought one 10 years ago). As Mick says the Alton is noisy at tickover and I suspect saps a bit of power because it is quite hard to turn by hand.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Plum

Post by Plum »

I have just completed the fitting of a Alton alternator and complete lighting system.fitting is simple no different to dynamo fitting as for noise I can not say as had no lights before but I can not hear any untoward noise and my engine is as sweet as a nut in my opinion
Tested yesterday on 100 mile ride out for exercise and mental health sanity most pleased and can see in the dark running conventional bpf bulb now must do something about seat padding. You could save money by trying spike island motorcycles
(No connection they are cheaper) voltage stable at 30mph can not fault should of done years ago plus I feel safer running around with my lights on.no ignition switch or isolator fitted an no discharge when tested using good quality multimeter with clamp attachment for amperage readings
Plum
Taid

Post by Taid »

Thank you guys for the information ..

I think I am going to go the Alternator route, but the Alton cost is rather more than I had hoped to spend .. which was why I was hoping to get info on any others that are available .. the Polish unit is over £100 cheaper, but there doesn't appear to be a UK outlet .. there is also a german unit, but I don't know the price on that and it is less wattage than the others ..
___

Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Could you not use a voltage converter to power the necessary 12v electronics and go 6V LEDs for the lighting - or would that be too much to expect from a short dynamo?

Regards Mick
Taid

Post by Taid »

Mick D wrote:Hi

Could you not use a voltage converter to power the necessary 12v electronics and go 6V LEDs for the lighting - or would that be too much to expect from a short dynamo?

Regards Mick
that may have been an option had not the existing E3N failed and be needing repair/replacement except I have already swapped my lights to 12v LEDs, and I have to say that I am not overly impressed with the headlight performance .. with the output of an alternator, I would have ample power to drive a quartz halogen BPF bulb, which would better match the design of the headlamp lens than an LED will do.
Taid
___

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Plum wrote:Tested yesterday on 100 mile ride out for exercise and mental health sanity
Sounds almost as 'essential' as these two clowns' ride out !
https://www.bsaownersclub.co.uk/bsaoc_f ... 3#msg41973

Does nothing for the image of the AMOC when posted on a public forum.

Steve
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Greybeard wrote:Plum wrote:
Tested yesterday on 100 mile ride out for exercise and mental health sanity

Should have waited until today and all would have been good :evil: :evil: :evil: , (in England :o )
clive

Post by clive »

Mick D wrote:
Greybeard wrote:Plum wrote:
Tested yesterday on 100 mile ride out for exercise and mental health sanity

Should have waited until today and all would have been good :evil: :evil: :evil: , (in England :o )
I know the instructions last night were vague and rambling but I believe whilst not travelling by public transport has been recommended its still for essential travel, going to work getting food or medicines. 100 mile Alternator test would not come into that definition would it? :headbang:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix