Frame cover rubber edging

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
MalcW

Frame cover rubber edging

Post by MalcW »

I've bought replacement rubber edgings for the frame cover on my '60 twin. The original edging, badly falling apart, was a push fit over the sides of the panel. The new ones are strips of rubber with a bead along one edge. I presume I just glue these on the back of the trim panel with the bead in view, as this will stop the panel chafing against the oil tank and toolbox? Were the push on ones the original setup, or has a PO changed them at some point? Just curious.

Cheers,

Malc
Reynard24

Re: Frame cover rubber edging

Post by Reynard24 »

MalcW wrote:... I presume I just glue these on the back of the trim panel with the bead in view, as this will stop the panel chafing against the oil tank and toolbox?..

Cheers,

Malc
Yes, just use contact adhesive or silicon rubber to glue them to the back of the panel. I think the strip is original fitment but I use the "U" channel panel edge protector stuff on the later two part frame covers as they never line up exactly and it takes up the gap nicely.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Reynard24 wrote: Yes, just use contact adhesive or silicon rubber to glue them to the back of the panel. I think the strip is original fitment but I use the "U" channel panel edge protector stuff on the later two part frame covers as they never line up exactly and it takes up the gap nicely.
Excellent; that's what I'll do - as soon as the toolbox is back in place!

Thanks,

Malc
bob121

Post by bob121 »

I found that mine have rubbed through the paint to the bare metal after 4k miles. I've touched in the paint for now. But will give this some attention in the future. Certainly going to change the strips for something different.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

bob121 wrote:I found that mine have rubbed through the paint to the bare metal after 4k miles. I've touched in the paint for now. But will give this some attention in the future. Certainly going to change the strips for something different.
Hi

The strips present a larger surface area than the U channel and will therefore wear the paint to a lesser degree. I'm using the strips and have no evidence of chafing - are your oil tank and tool box correctly secured?

Regards Mick