Side stand bending

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
REW

Side stand bending

Post by REW »

How easy is it to bend or change the line of the prop stand (the usual 50's item many of us have)?

My M20 stand is slightly custom bent, shall we say, and could do with straightening by a few mm once I remove it from the bike again. I have visions of placing it on a solid surface with the bend uppermost and whacking it with a large lump hammer to flatten the curve.

What is the stand made of and will it stand cold bending does anyone know?
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
ajscomboman

Re: Side stand bending

Post by ajscomboman »

Place it in a vice and with the aid of a scaffold pole tweak it to where you want it. I always do mine cold, same with footrests.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Yes it can be bent cold quite safely - I'd clamp it in a vice and sleeve a steel tube over it for leverage and control but your method will also work.

It's even easier if you can heat it to cherry red.

Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have successfully straitened brake pedals in a large vice, using 6 mm plywood twin sticked on the vice jaws each side. No brute strength needed, just gently tightening the vice.
It never came out the vice straight. So I added say 2/3 mm thick thin strip of wood where it needed to be over bent. It then came out the vice straight. ( Another trick the old boy across the road taught me when I was a teen to straighten my bent bicycle pedal arms ) Try that Ron to get your stand arm spot on as you want it. You will need a big heavy vice.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

If the vice wasn't solid enough I've jammed footpegs and brake levers in the grille over the street gutter drain.
Attach a bit of string first!
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Have to say I've gone the vice route for preference in the past but not with prop stands.

Johnn y B
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

SPRIDDLER wrote:If the vice wasn't solid enough I've jammed footpegs and brake levers in the grille over the street gutter drain.
Did you also put half penny's on the railway line to flatern them out as big as penny's?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Rob Harknett wrote:
SPRIDDLER wrote:If the vice wasn't solid enough I've jammed footpegs and brake levers in the grille over the street gutter drain.
Did you also put half penny's on the railway line to flatern them out as big as penny's?
No Rob, but funny you should say that because when I went to the Gents after getting my first pair of bifocals I saw a big one and a little one. I knew the big one wasn't mine so I put it away.

(Do I have to report myself to a Moderator?).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

I bent my footrests (same material as side stand) successfully cold, but it needed a large vice and length of tube. Andy
REW

Post by REW »

Thank You everyone, that's what I needed to know!

I have the vice and a street gutter (which I have used for similar exploits before) so will have a go if I can't get the clearance I need by careful readjustment.

I will take my glasses off to avoid bending the wrong item Sprid.
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.