G5 horn wiring

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
spotpaul

G5 horn wiring

Post by spotpaul »

Recently acquired a lovely G5. Wanted to fit indicators. Asked for advice on our club and was helped. I have finally got the indicators working well. Thanks to all who helped. Trouble is - the 6 point connection box that came with the new switch, has 2 ports to accommodate the 2 horn wires. However, there is only one wire coming through from the horn into the headlight housing. There are 2 wires coming out of the horn under the seat. Any ideas please? Many thanks. Terry.
Mick D

Re: G5 horn wiring

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I assume there is a horn push included with you new indicator switch, in which case the holes for the horn should receive the wire from the horn and the one delivering power to the original horn push.

Regards Mick
spotpaul

Post by spotpaul »

Hi Mick, thanks for responding. The new switch has a horn push. The switch on the bike when I received it had a horn push which didn't work. Therefore I can't see a second wire anywhere near the switch or headlight. Just 2 wires coming out of the horn which both quickly disappear into the main loom which goes under the tank and emerge as one wire in the headlight. I have somehow “lost” the second wire.
Terry.
les ward

Post by les ward »

On my bike a brown wire goes from the battery to one side of the horn. Another brown wire goes from the other side of the horn up to the horn button. A red wire goes from the horn button to earth.

So for your bike I think one side of the switch is from the horn and the other goes to an earth point.

Thinking about the circuit, power goes from the battery up to the horn and then on to the switch. When you press the horn button you complete the circuit as the electricity goes goes via the earth back to the battery and the horn sounds.

You probably won't have an earth lead, as the original switch would have have pushed a brass piece directly onto the handlbars to create the earth. So you will need to make one up.

You can test this by connecting one side of the switch to the lead from the horn and holdind the other wire from the switch onto an earth point (or even the handlebars). Push the button and the horn should sound.
Hope this helps,
Les
spotpaul

Post by spotpaul »

Thanks Les for that. I'll give it a try tomorrow. Having wired up the indicators and fully wired a Classic Suzuki some years ago, I know how important the earth is and hitting the right spot. I didn't realise in this case however, the bit about integrated horn button earth to handlebar. Haha, love this stuff. Keeps ya going in this ruddy lockdown!
Terry.
spotpaul

Post by spotpaul »

Cheers Les, horn working now. Many thanks,
Terry.