G80 Oil Filters

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Ambrose

G80 Oil Filters

Post by Ambrose »

About to change the oil on my 1960 G80, but having trouble locating the oil filters. In Roy Bacon's book on Restoration all that is mentioned for post war singles is that they began with filter in oil tank on return line and feed pipe. If this is the case for 1960 model how are they accessed for cleaning?
dave16mct

Re: G80 Oil Filters

Post by dave16mct »

Only on the feed pipe. Pull the pipe off and the gauze strainer should be stuck up inside the oiltank pipe. There is no real oilfilter on these.
Dave.
adz25

Post by adz25 »

Is there a particular reason for this?

On my 55 and 54 there was a felt filter in the oil tank on return,but my 56 just a gauze in the feed line.

I would have expected filtration to have got more advanced as years went on? Or did they just not need them because of the roller bearing big end?

Thanks

Adam
Ambrose

Post by Ambrose »

Thanks for the replies.
Am I being dumb but Can't see how to get the feed pipe off the tank without damaging the metal connector?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

If its this type they just pull off, you may need to undo the engine end to allow you to rotate the pipe a little and a squirt of WD40 on the junction will ease things along.
Ferrules.png
There's a search facility on the forum, the magnifying glass upper right of the screen, typing oil pipes into this brings up the discussion from a few days ago when this was also discussed - always worth a quick try as most issues have been raised at sometime before ;)

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ambrose

Post by Ambrose »

Thanks very much, Mick. Very useful. They look the same so will try!