ajs m4 1929 kickstart quadrant.

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Pmorris

ajs m4 1929 kickstart quadrant.

Post by Pmorris »

Hi there i,m new to the club! i have a problem with the kickstart quadrant fouling the clutch drive sprocket chain, it has been rubbing for some time . The quadrant looks like it needs to move in about 1/4" to the centre of frame . The kickstart shaft runs through the back of the gearbox and seems solid, does anyone know if there is adjustment at all on this,
or any solution ? The bike has been stood for 50 odd years , engine turns fine but quadrant slips .
Regards Phil M
Philip Morris
Rob Harknett

Re: ajs m4 1929 kickstart quadrant.

Post by Rob Harknett »

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... tevens.pdf
Is the shaft bent? Where the shaft goes through the gearbox tends to fracture, so make sure the casing has not fractured.
See above notes on fitting the shaft.
Pmorris

Post by Pmorris »

Thanks very much for information and workshop sheets they will be most useful. I will remove shaft and check the casings but they look good so far - fingers crossed.
Will let you know how i get on. Cheers.
Philip Morris
clive

Post by clive »

On my 28 K12 the kickstart shaft runs in a steel tube. This tube goes through the back of the gearbox and its location side to side is secured by a bolt into the gearbox near but below the chainguard. I had to move mine across to get proper engagement of the kickstart.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Pmorris

Post by Pmorris »

Hi Clive thanks for info, i removed the shaft and quadrant - shaft is perfectly straight, as you mention the shaft runs through a steel tube in back of gearbox which governs the side to side movement , there is a bolt near centre below the tube, i will try that tomorrow .
P.s Quadrant is quite worn - not sure if any available ?
Cheers Phil .
Philip Morris
Pmorris

Post by Pmorris »

Hi , I loosened bolt and tried moving steel shaft with heavy mallet and wood drift but it's solid - don't want to give it too much for obvious reasons, any ideas ? Cheers Phil
Philip Morris
clive

Post by clive »

Aluminium and steel have the tendency to corrode together some applied heat and penetrating fluid may help move things. Alternatively if it really will not move you may have to fit a spacer one side and remove some material from the other. I have had to build up material with weld to repair the teeth on the quadrant not entirely successfully yet, more work awaits. Ps did you fully remove the bolt? something makes me remember that it may have a pin on the end of it that secured in a hole in the tube. But this may be the musing of poor memory.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Pmorris

Post by Pmorris »

Hi Clive , I fully removed the bolt, but it seem to make any difference - the bolt is directly underneath the sleeve in centre of gearbox. I will try to make a puller with threaded bar . Will let you know how I go . Cheers Phil
Philip Morris
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Take your time, soak with penatrating oil for weeks if you must. Bolts, studs, everything will be found seized. Alloy casings will break if you use force.
Pmorris

Post by Pmorris »

Hi Rob thanks for info - I will take my time with it , I think it's been like this for years , also plenty more jobs to do while I'm waiting for it to free up . New front tyre next next then onto magneto and Dynamo - oh no I! will keep you posted . Cheers Phil
Philip Morris