Lucas K2F Magneto

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
dicsaer

Lucas K2F Magneto

Post by dicsaer »

I have a Lucas K2F Magneto fitted to my other bike which starts the bike fine,but my problem is switching it off.I have fitted a new switch which works fine but will not cut the engine off,I have fitted a new brush on the end cap which makes a contact with the points end bolt,still would not work,then took the end cap off the mag fired the bike up and earth directly from points end bolt to frame,still would not work.Read something about different lengths bolts available.Overall length bolt is 1-13/16”.Any ideas how to sort it please
MalcW

Re: Lucas K2F Magneto

Post by MalcW »

I can't answer your question I'm afraid, but have you tried earthing to the magneto body, which is what the push button end cap on my K2F does. It would at least eliminate poor earth contacts between engine and frame. And check the continuity of the wire you're using for the test. That caught me out once.

Malc
Groily

Post by Groily »

Check also main earth brush under big screw next to flange at drive end. Needs to be working to earth the armature itself. If it is missing or not making contact the stop button often won't work because the armature 'earth' via the drive gear isnt good enough.
dicsaer

Post by dicsaer »

Thanks for you reply s.I will check your suggestions when the weather improves and let you know the results
dicsaer

Post by dicsaer »

Hi took the bike out this afternoon,earthed to magneto still nothing,then took the big brass screw out ,there was a brush there but it was made out of brass connected to the spring,cheked it for continuity, nothing.put a new carbon brush in ,hey presto it worked.Thanks again chaps.Regards Richard