G5 Indicator wire up.

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
spotpaul

G5 Indicator wire up.

Post by spotpaul »

Hello. Just bought a 1960 g5. Wanting to fit indicators. Realise it's not to everyone's taste but fancy doing some mileage and traffic's changed a bit since the bike was new! The bike came with them fitted but not wired. Bought a new handlebar switch and believe I can follow the instructions to fit to front end. Problem is, rear 2 indicators have 2 short wires sticking out from each. They're only couple of inches long so don't reach anywhere. Looks like a relay is fitted under seat. Just wonder about where the rear wires go and wiring from 6v battery to service the indicators. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Terry.
MalcW

Re: G5 Indicator wire up.

Post by MalcW »

For the indicator wires, one is power and one is earth. On the indicators I bought the bulbs are insulated from the body of the indicator, so it didn't matter which was which. For wiring, you need a feed from the battery live to the flasher relay, and from the relay to the centre terminal in the switch. Then one of the switchable contact goes to the pair of indicators on one side, and the other contact goes to the other pair. I would recommend fitting a fuse in the battery to relay link.

Malc
spotpaul

Post by spotpaul »

Thanks Malc
I'll try and work on that info.
Terry
spotpaul

Post by spotpaul »

Hi Malc what size fuse do you reckon?
Terry.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

spotpaul wrote:Hi Malc what size fuse do you reckon?
Terry.
Not my speciality but just in case you're itching to try 'em out...…
The simple answer is that any fuse must have a lesser current carrying capacity than the wiring that it is protecting.

I assume you have filament bulbs as opposed to LED lamps. From memory, filament indicator bulbs will be typically 20 Watts each. So for example, two bulbs will draw 40 Watts when lit.
40 watts divided by 6 volts is just under 7 amps so I'd fit a 10 amp fuse to give a bit of leeway for the slight current surge as the lamps flash.
Your supplied lamp wires may be suited to the more common 12 volts systems so may be a bit undersized since 40 watts divided by 12 volts is only 3.3 amps.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
spotpaul

Post by spotpaul »

Thanks for that Spriddler.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

spotpaul wrote:Hi Malc what size fuse do you reckon?
Terry.
Apologies for the delay in replying - away from the computer for a few days. Spriddler has beaten me to it.

Malc