petrol tank for Matchless G2 1961

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
andrew brough

petrol tank for Matchless G2 1961

Post by andrew brough »

I am rebuilding a 1961 Matchless G2 and a 1966 G2CSR. Do they have different petrol tanks? I was given to understand the earlier tank was smaller(3 Gal.),with a seam. Is this correct?
Rangy65

Re: petrol tank for Matchless G2 1961

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi Andrew there are three types of tank for lightweights. early machines & CS model have a smaller tank. Later machines had the same size tank but it differed in how the knee grips fitted.

The 1961 model should have the tank with knee grips that fit over the welded on straps and the CSR should have the smooth tank with stick on knee grips.

This all depends on how original you want the bikes to be or which tanks you like best. The rusty tank is a late one with out weld on straps.
IMG_0717.JPG
IMG_0718.JPG
Hope this helps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
andrew brough

Post by andrew brough »

Thank you for that detailed and well illustrated reply. exactly the information that I needed. Many thanks,Andrew.
andrew brough

Post by andrew brough »

Hi, I have found this tank for my Matchless G2 1961. Would this have been an original colour scheme? l like the shadow of the missing tank badge.[img224033][/img]
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

andrew brough wrote:Hi, I have found this tank for my Matchless G2 1961. Would this have been an original colour scheme? l like the shadow of the missing tank badge.[img224033][/img]
Looks like you are a guest unable to post pictures. Facilities are limited on the club website and forum to non club members. I may be a good idea to join the club. The club has many spare parts for lightweights, you may need. You also get the monthly club magazine plus many more member benefits. Free use of the club forum is limited to 90 days.