G5 starting tips

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
spotpaul

G5 starting tips

Post by spotpaul »

Hi, I'm brand new to the G5. (1960 model).Bought yesterday. Seller said easy starter. I think to achieve this I must have to acquire a knack I haven't got! 50 years since I rode a British bike so just used to button start. Wonder if anyone could give me tips on starting this lovely machine? Would be very grateful thanks.
cbranni

Re: G5 starting tips

Post by cbranni »

Welcome Paul,

If there is petrol in tank turn petrol tap on and press tickler down on carb until it you get a wet finger.

Don't bother with choke, but do make sure it is in the correct position which if you are sitting on the bike you pull the choke lever towards you meaning the choke is off.

Pull clutch lever in and push the kickstart down to free up the clutch, you know the clutch is free when the engine don't turn and let clutch lever go.

If the battery is fully charged switch ignition on, turn switch to the I position and give the kick start a hefty swing and the engine should burst into life.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
spotpaul

Post by spotpaul »

Thanks Colin, I'll give that a try tomorrow.
Terry.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Agree with Colin. There is a decompressor lever on the LH side but I don't use mine as I get a better "start" with just a good kick once the engine is at the top of the compression stroke. Actually not sure why it was there in the first place as the engine is only 6:9/1 compression ratio. I do use my choke if the weather is really cold as mine is stored outside so gets pretty cold.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
spotpaul

Post by spotpaul »

Thanks a lot Ozmadman
shifter

Post by shifter »

I start my Model 8 as above and it starts most times first kick good luck
shifter
?
spotpaul

Post by spotpaul »

Thanks for the help fellas. Because of the weather, have started the bike ok but not ridden it. When the bike is warmed up, ie out and about, do I always need to tickle carb. each startup?
Many thanks, Terry.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

If the engine is still hot no but if it's only warm just one or two pokes, the more you use it the more familiar you will get with it, no two bikes are the exactly the same.

Enjoy it
spotpaul

Post by spotpaul »

Thanks Colin.
My brother in Law has the 350 g3. He's had it 30 years! So knows a bit about them. Told me he has his own starting technique and tried it on mine. Took him a while but got it going. Just reinforces your point about them all having their own foibles. Haha
Terry.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Foibles................that's the word I was looking for