Steering Adjustment

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Rosy

Re: Steering Adjustment

Post by Rosy »

Dave T wrote:and a big bowl underneath to stop all the balls making a bid for freedom all over the garage floor :rofl:
I'm going to use what you suggest plus two really strong 30mm neodymium magnets attached to the headstock, they should catch any wayward bearings before they go to far.
Dixter

Post by Dixter »

Why the concern to catch all of them? They all should be replaced, and Amazon.uk will send a box of 100 British made 3/16” balls, to your front door for under £8.

30mm neodymium magnets cost more than the balls.

Ciao, DC
Dick Casey
The RideNut
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Dixter wrote:Why the concern to catch all of them?
Cos they hurt like b*****y when you accidently kneel on one that's escaped ;)
Rosy

Post by Rosy »

The forks along with the rest of the bike has been restored fairly recently within the last 5yrs or so and not ridden, so I would hope the new bearings were used, the magnets I had already, and like Mick D said I don't want them all over the floor. Once I've pulled the forks apart and I know what I want I will refit with new bearings etc. I've never come across an allegedly "restored" bike that has needed so much doing to it.
RL

Post by RL »

]I had a similar problem with the steering head bearings on my 1955 16MS, I found that the bearing cups were a very loose fit in the head stock and no amount of adjustment would resolve the problem of the headstock shuddering when braking. I came across the enclosed technical tip in the 1997 Jampot and found that this reasonably simple solution worked and resolved the problem.

[attachment=0]Scan_20200221.jpg[/attachment
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rosy

Post by Rosy »

photo 3.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 1.JPG
I've stripped the forks and I have come across two problems, the first was the lower bearing race was a loose fit on on the stub of the yoke, a 4 Thou gap all round so I used an old 6 thou feeler gauge wrapped around the stub, heated the race and shrunk it on this is now really tight, right or wrong I don't know? but it seems to have solved one problem.

When I was taking the forks apart the centre adjusting nut was extremely tight, when the nut came off it was evidently clear that the steering stem was not centre of the yoke. When I came to do a dry rebuild it was clear that either the yokes are not a matched pair, (my upper yoke Part no 021748, spare parts list Part no 021749) I can't find a number on the lower yoke. The lower yoke does not appear to be bent although the fork legs do not line up to enter the the top yoke. I either need top & bottom yoke, or one compatible to either top or bottom, what are your thoughts on taking the bottom yoke to an engineer and trying to get it bent into position! I have placed an ad in the wanted section so if you have a set of yokes I would love to hear from you.

Who ever rebuilt these forks knew that something was clearly wrong, they would of have to of forced the fork legs to enter the yoke, which in time would have caused the steering stem to fracture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

From your photos I can't see a standard set up - I'm probably missing something :oops:

The bearing cups fitted to the frame should look like this, sorry about the grease;
Race in Frame.png
And on the yokes:
Race in Lug.png
Are the photos misleading or do you have differing bearings?

Edited to ask - do you have the inner and outer races installed in the correct manner?

Regards Mick
Rosy

Post by Rosy »

The bearing cups are fitted to the frame and to the yokes, just imagine the upper and lower yokes are fitted to the head stock tightened and adjusted, when sliding the stanchions up through the lower yoke they should just slide in to the upper, but mine are forward of the top yoke by about 3/16. The photo's are looking down on the top yoke. Hope thats clear, definitely a miss match, or a bent yoke. whatever it is I'm stuffed because I'm not sure where to go from here.
Rosy

Post by Rosy »

Anyone know the difference between Part Nos 021748 and 021749? I need to try and establish if I have a mis matched pair. I can't just buy random yokes.
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

the yokes for the duplex frame and the single down tube frame have different angles, the upper yokes you have is for a single down tube frame, the number is not a part number.
the yokes for the duplex frame has a C or 9 stamped on them.
best regards
Poul