Lucas 120w rectifier/regulator

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
AyJayBee

Lucas 120w rectifier/regulator

Post by AyJayBee »

I am trying to 'restore' a 1961 G3LS, and wanted to convert to 12 volt. It has a 3 wire alternator. I have tried to follow the instructions to fit the new solid state unit, but am not sure about wires which will be left perhaps doing nothing, or if disconnected would cause a problem. I have attached my diagram of what I believe is the way to do it, but can anyone confirm/advise, please? Thanks, Tony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Lucas 120w rectifier/regulator

Post by 196016 »

Hopefully this is what you need.
Courtesy of Paul Gift website
WiringDiagAltBasic.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Hello Anthony. Warning : if your alternator is original, three wires don't mean that it is a triphase. If it is a RM 19 3 wires you have to connect the green/black to the green/yellow to make a 2 wires alternator, as it is stated on the diagram in Dave's post.
Groily

Post by Groily »

The leads from the alternator don't go on to the switch any more, no.
Some of the old wiring is irrelevant because you no longer have to switch alternator coils in and out according to load on the system - the new box sorts all that for you.
So, all the switchgear now does is turn on lights and ignition; and the old rectifier is now redundant, along with any wiring coming off it to the switchgear.
The only downside maybe is the loss of the emergency ignition position.
AyJayBee

Post by AyJayBee »

Thanks for the advice. I will connect up to the new unit, but leave the wires to the switch out of the circuit - that would seem to be the answer. Again thanks. Tony