Clutch centre nut

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
MalcW

Clutch centre nut

Post by MalcW »

Hi All

Does anyone know the size of the clutch centre nut on an AMC clutch/gearbox? A friend needs to remove his clutch, but neither of us has a socket or box spanner that will both fit inside the recess, and fit the nut. we have a clutch extractor, we just need to get the nut off first.

Thanks,

Malc
les ward

Re: Clutch centre nut

Post by les ward »

Did mine yesterday, which a 7/16 whit socket fitted.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Hi Les

That's a bit worrying; I tried a 7/16 Whitworth with no joy. Hmmm...

Thanks,

Malc
Janet

Post by Janet »

Before I put in my two penn'orth, I will state that I am well aware that the nut on a heavyweight clutch is not the same as on my lovely lightweight, but I don't know where the differences are. One may have a bigger hole in the middle for the gearbox thingy to go through, or be deeper, or require a different sized spanner than mine. On the off-chance that the spanner sizes actually match, the original nut on the lightweight is a 23/32" AF. Yes, really!
raffles

Post by raffles »

I think you are trying to use 1/2" drive sockets a 3/8 drive one will fit
Tony
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

From memory "040373 CLUTCH RETAINING NUT" is a reduced width nut, unfortunately it is possible to fit a normal nut in its place but it leaves little room in its recess for a socket, you may have to find a thin walled box spanner (not sure without checking if a plug spanner will fit here) or grind a sacrificial socket down then replace with the correct nut and spring washer.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

yes you at correct the nut is of reduced size, I took an age locating one when I built my bitsa only to later find TWO correct ones laced together in the box of bits :headbang: ! kind regards
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

raffles wrote:I think you are trying to use 1/2" drive sockets a 3/8 drive one will fit
Tony
Hi Tony. No, I was using a 3/8 drive Whitworth. It fitted inside the clutch centre, but not over the nut.

Malc
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

You may have to find a box spanner to fit the nut. They are thinner than sockets but only just and then when you've got it off buy the correct reduced nut and save the stress. Fun when PO's do things like that isn't it!
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

ajscomboman wrote:You may have to find a box spanner to fit the nut. They are thinner than sockets but only just and then when you've got it off buy the correct reduced nut and save the stress. Fun when PO's do things like that isn't it!
It's one of life's true pleasures!

Malc